Finished pics! Psilos Ultra-modern bass build

You're probably bored of all the praise now, Andy, but this is a real looker. It reminds me of something Rick Toone would build. I love everything about it from the unstained finish, the strings, the hidden electronics and the body shape.

The ONLY thing that I questioned was the protruding bridge on the backside but that's more because I want to be able to lay a guitar flat. I imagine it doesn't get in the way of a seated playing position.

Bravo. I can't wait to see what you do next, even if you do go back to something more traditional .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woden said:

You're probably bored of all the praise now, Andy, but this is a real looker. It reminds me of something Rick Toone would build. I love everything about it from the unstained finish, the strings, the hidden electronics and the body shape.

The ONLY thing that I questioned was the protruding bridge on the backside but that's more because I want to be able to lay a guitar flat. I imagine it doesn't get in the way of a seated playing position.

Bravo. I can't wait to see what you do next, even if you do go back to something more traditional .

I never get bored of praise, Woden :lol:

To everyone's great surprise, the tuner block gets nowhere near the player - either standing or sitting.  It curves round your right-hand hip about two inches clear!  It is actually one of the most comfortable basses I've played (and Mick the owner who already has 12 or more basses says the same) - but I stress, pretty much by total luck!

The other really bizzare thing is that it actually does lay almost flat, with the tuner and headstock bracket acting like a built in metal stands :rolleyes:

You can see that here:

_MG_2113.thumb.JPG.bcd313eb1894a6973a4a2be62a70fb10.JPG

All that said, the praise needs to be aimed at Mick, who it was built for and who dreamt up the shape and concept, and Lady Luck who helped it actually work - against all the odds :D

It's certainly the most unusual build I've tackled to date ;)

I forgot about that photo. I assume it's not too heavy enough to stress those two areas when laid like that.

Sounds like a great coalescence between Mick's vision and your ability to realise his concept. This is so striking that I imagine you will get further orders for one once people ask Mick about his new prized bass.

I also forgot to praise you for the hand-drawn plans, too. As a 33-year-old learning his trade, I sometimes feel like a pariah for not using CAD but I much prefer to draw by hand and work that way. I'm not overlooking the efficiency of CAD, by any means, and I'm sure I'll get it into it when it's necessary, but while I'm still on my first few builds, I want to do it old school.