someone tell me if this is possible

mo biscuits

this would be entirelly posable and really not that hard to do

get 1 switch for each pickup. a on/off micro switch would be fine. solder the hot wire from a pickup to one tab on the switch and then have a wire from the other tab that goes off and joins the tabs form the rest of the switches....lemme rephrase that since it isnt clear

imagine the switches have an input tab and an output tab. the hot wire fronm the pickups goes to the input tab, the output tabs are then joined together and would go (in this case) straight to the jack socket on the guitar

when the switch was flicked on the 2 tabs of the switch would be connected, when it wasnt they would be disconnected meaning that you werent getting any output from that pickup.

i hope thats clear lol, i cant think of an easy way to describe it atm

2 things to take into account

1) if you use switches get decent quality ones, otherwise you will get some crackles and pops from the switches when you flick them on and off

2) from what ive heard, if you have pickups without tone and volume controls then they can sound really bright. you might want to have a small resistor capacitor circuit inside the guitar just to take a little bit of the edge off them, course you may want bright pickups in which case ignore me :D

hopethis is helpful man. if you dont get what i was rambling on about then tell me and ill draw a picture lol

2) from what ive heard, if you have pickups without tone and volume controls then they can sound really bright. you might want to have a small resistor capacitor circuit inside the guitar just to take a little bit of the edge off them, course you may want bright pickups in which case ignore me :D

This is a good idea. I currently have a guitar wired with no pots... and it's just way too much of a good thing. Well, in my tube rig, it's too much, too much output, WAY too bright. On my office pedal board setup it kinda sounds pretty cool.

If you're going to be playing different guitars (one w/o pots vs. ones w/ pots) in the same amps, it'll sound too different when you switch guitars with the same amp settings... even more different than when switching from a HB vs. SC guitar in the same amp.

i like the extra bit of signal that you get that way.

It is cool in a way... but having it up ALL the time is too much, IMO. B) I've wondered if there'd be a way to wire a switch to bypass all the electronics, pots, etc. to use the "extra bit" selectively... sort of like a "passive boost" I guess :D.

(JohnnyG @ Jan 25 2004, 04:08 PM)

2) from what ive heard, if you have pickups without tone and volume controls then they can sound really bright. you might want to have a small resistor capacitor circuit inside the guitar just to take a little bit of the edge off them, course you may want bright pickups in which case ignore me

This is a good idea. I currently have a guitar wired with no pots... and it's just way too much of a good thing. Well, in my tube rig, it's too much, too much output, WAY too bright. On my office pedal board setup it kinda sounds pretty cool.

If you're going to be playing different guitars (one w/o pots vs. ones w/ pots) in the same amps, it'll sound too different when you switch guitars with the same amp settings... even more different than when switching from a HB vs. SC guitar in the same amp.

[\QUOTE]

wow someone agrees with me :D guess i dont talk crap all the t B) ime

It is cool in a way... but having it up ALL the time is too much, IMO. I've wondered if there'd be a way to wire a switch to bypass all the electronics, pots, etc. to use the "extra bit" selectively... sort of like a "passive boost" I guess .

thatd be really easy to do. just get a Double Pole Double Throw micro switch. if you look at the switch from the bottom with the 2 rows of legs facing you lined up vertically then you just hook it up like this

hot input lead from the pickup selector into the middle pole on the left side and then the output to the jack on the middle pole on the right side. the top 2 legs would be joined together (thats the bypass wire) and then the bottom left leg would go to the start of the tone/volume controls, the other end of the tone/volume controls would go to the bottom right hand leg. mount the switch and there's your control pot bypass switch.

I've wondered if there'd be a way to wire a switch to bypass all the electronics, pots, etc. to use the "extra bit" selectively... sort of like a "passive boost" I guess :D.

Of course it's possible. If you post your circuit, I'll re-post it with the added switch.

EDIT: ... if JohnnyG doesn't beat me to it. B)

I've wondered if there'd be a way to wire a switch to bypass all the electronics, pots, etc. to use the "extra bit" selectively... sort of like a "passive boost" I guess :D.

Of course it's possible. If you post your circuit, I'll re-post it with the added switch.

Hey! Thanks for the offer! B) The guitar in question is a Steinberger, i.e., there's no room for an extra switch, not even a push/pull pot.

I'd probably try it on another guitar. I usually wire all my guitars with a single vol and tone pot wired after the pick-up selector switch (some have coil-taps, some don't)... so the bypass switching circuitry'd be somewhere after the pick-up selector switch I guess.

i have often thought about doing the same thing. no pots, just an on/off switch for my pick up. now remember, potentiometers are variable resistors. now with your current electronics schematics, i am guessing all you would have to do is replace the pot with a resistor of the same value. i am not sure about this. corrections anyone?

all Active picups actually do is to have less wire wound round the bobbin on the pickup and so a lower resistance (normally about 4 to 5 Kohms for a humbucker i think) this means they have a much cleaner signal but that its much weaker, (im not too sure on the clearer signal but i remember it has some pretty good things about having lower resistance)

because the signal is weaker there is a built in pre-amp that is situated in the guitar. so what happens is the hot wire from the pickup goes into the preamp inside the guitar and then the output from the preamp goes to the pickup selector etc like a normal pickup.

thats the only actual difference from passive pickups so they should get the extra "boost" if they were to have no volume or tone pots

N.B. if ife talked bull anywhere in this post then please feel free to corect me iof anybody knows better. im not too sure about active pickups so i may not be quite right

and i plan on using active emg's

How would using the active EMG's affect this project? Would it affect the active circuitry not having any pots there?... and would it experience that "extra bit" that a passive setup would have?

The overall signal would be a bit louder evenly across the spectrum. You wouldn't get the benefit of a brighter sound like with passive pickups.

because the signal is weaker there is a built in pre-amp that is situated in the guitar. so what happens is the hot wire from the pickup goes into the preamp inside the guitar and then the output from the preamp goes to the pickup selector etc like a normal pickup.

The active EMGs have the pre-amp built into the pickups themselves.

If you're going to use EMGs without a volume, I'd still use a fixed resistor of the same size (25K?) across the output just to make sure the preamp has a load on it when you unplug the guitar. I don't know what kind of preamp EMG uses, but I do know that running any amp without a load is not good for it.

If you're going to use EMGs without a volume, I'd still use a fixed resistor of the same size (25K?) across the output just to make sure the preamp has a load on it when you unplug the guitar. I don't know what kind of preamp EMG uses, but I do know that running any amp without a load is not good for it.

Unlike a power amp that drives a speaker, there's no danger of damaging a pre-amp output if you remove the load. I would however add the resistor just to keep the overall output at the level that it was designed for, or maybe increase the value to 50K or 100K to get a little boost. The reason they recommend 25K pots instead of the 500K used for active pickups is because:

1. The pickup's pre-amp is not affected by low impedance loads like a passive pickup is.

2. Using 25K pots lower's the guitar's overall output impedance especially at mid-volume so that it's unaffected by long guitar cables (less treble loss).

i took out the pickup selector in my yngwie copy and replaced it with a 100k slide pot. to balance the outer pickups. and use push pull pots on the three controls to do things like select phase, booster, and middle pickup

ps if you wish to put a switch in there fro a freq roll off and you need a specific freq.. like for instance you want to make a mid notch... heres a great rc filter calculator..

for all the math wizards the actual fromula is as follows

F = 1/(2PiRC)

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm