Truss Rod Route

The Stew Mac hot rod says it requires a channel 7/32" wide and 7/16" deep.

Considering 1/4" is 1/32 difference, and 1/2" is 1/16" difference, would it hurt if the channel was 1/4" x 1/2"....i would probably be putting a little silicon sealer in the corners to avoid truss rattle either way...

The width of the slot is perhaps not that important, but the depth definately is. It should be 100% accurate, so that the fingerboard has contact with the rod all along the slot. If you don't do that, you risk that your fingerboard cracks. Think about it: If the trussrod begins to bend and it does not contact the fingerboard along the whole length, it will put stress on the fingerboard at one small point only, namely the point at which the trussrod's curve is the highest. It is my understanding that this is the reason for people posting about broken fingerboards with the hotrod trussrod.

one question?

with the 1/8 allen hot rod, they make it seem by the way they word it that you can't set it up so that it goes through the headstock on an electric neck.

but you can, right? its just badly worded?

The width of the slot is perhaps not that important, but the depth definately is. It should be 100% accurate, so that the fingerboard has contact with the rod all along the slot. If you don't do that, you risk that your fingerboard cracks. Think about it: If the trussrod begins to bend and it does not contact the fingerboard along the whole length, it will put stress on the fingerboard at one small point only, namely the point at which the trussrod's curve is the highest. It is my understanding that this is the reason for people posting about broken fingerboards with the hotrod trussrod.

You know that actually makes sence. the truss rods I've used before had a completely flattened top surface that contacted the underside of the fingerboard. I'm using a Hotrod for the first time and the way it is designed, I guess that could happen.