veneer top

vtsib

hello friends,

i've started already a Les Paul project.I live in Italy and i found a piece of maple for my carved top.The bad news are that this is not a flamed maple and i would like to make a translucent on my guitar and i don't like the "regular" maple.

So can i put over my carved top a piece of flamed maple veneer?In what width i must choose it?

Can i make the translucent finish that i want on this?

And finally, is there anyone that know where can i find a veneer for my top here in italy?

Sorry for my bad English.

Thanks.

yes you can add a flame maple veneer...get it as thin as possible(like 1/32")soyou won't have to reduce the thickness of the guitar to use it

brian has a tutorial here on how to attach it...then all you have to do is finish it...and a clear finish is fine...and no,you won't notice much if any tone difference if done correctly

just be sure to use the right amount of glue and get it completely flat...you don't want to have to level sand the veneer after application because you might sand through in spots

also, i would like to ask if the veneer will give a little difference on the tone of the guitar.

thanks

When I was doing the search, this question of tone was mentioned. The consensus was little or NO change. The example of a strat's tone being affected (or not affected) by having a pickguard was given.

yes you can add a flame maple veneer...get it as thin as possible(like 1/32")soyou won't have to reduce the thickness of the guitar to use it

brian has a tutorial here on how to attach it...then all you have to do is finish it...and a clear finish is fine...and no,you won't notice much if any tone difference if done correctly

just be sure to use the right amount of glue and get it completely flat...you don't want to have to level sand the veneer after application because you might sand through in spots

I think the concern is for a carved top (les paul.)

• 2 years later...

Yes, but I'd say it's nearly impossible to steam a veneer to fit onto a carved top(i mean lp type carved top, not an arm contour on a strat). Vacuum bagging is the way to go. However, apparently you'd be hard pressed to be able to get a veneer to curve over any sort of sharp curve. Look on david myka's site at some of his archtops to get a feel for what you sort of curves you can veneer. Bottom line is, to accomplish something like that, you're going to need to vacuum bag it.

I'm about to go into my shop to finish up my home made cycling vacuum pump and vacuum press. If you want to read up on the process, visit joewoodworker.com. It was indispensable to educating myself on the subject.

Rich Fryovanni built the venturi powered pump recently. I built the vacuum pump based system. I think he's actually run his already though. I should have mine running within the day.

peace,

russ

Yes, but I'd say it's nearly impossible to steam a veneer to fit onto a carved top(i mean lp type carved top, not an arm contour on a strat). Vacuum bagging is the way to go. However, apparently you'd be hard pressed to be able to get a veneer to curve over any sort of sharp curve. Look on david myka's site at some of his archtops to get a feel for what you sort of curves you can veneer. Bottom line is, to accomplish something like that, you're going to need to vacuum bag it.

I'm about to go into my shop to finish up my home made cycling vacuum pump and vacuum press. If you want to read up on the process, visit joewoodworker.com. It was indispensable to educating myself on the subject.

Rich Fryovanni built the venturi powered pump recently. I built the vacuum pump based system. I think he's actually run his already though. I should have mine running within the day.

peace,

russ

Thanks for that link. I have been thinking about a vacuum bag setup lately too. Good information.

• 5 weeks later...

I am thankful for these replies to a two year old post as I am doing research for adding a veneer top to a guitar that I do not want to mess up. What I am curious about is why there are a group of replies in 2004 and then a group in 2006? It seems a little odd that no one had any opinions or comments on this topic except for these two moments in time.......

because newbis are asked to research old threads to learn the basics before asking questions "cold",and while researching if they find something they need clarified,they drag it back up.

also veterans still research the old threads time to time to find something they remember seeing before,or just to look back and sigh :D