Maple or rosewood?

renablistic

Maple or rosewood?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I only voted for maple, because after years and years of totally prefering rosewood, I now prefer an oil finished maple board. I wouldn't say it makes you play faster unless you don't like the lighter color of the wood and think if you play faster you'll make it a little dirty quicker and it'll get darker.

Some rosewood(brazillian, I guess) has a grain to it that can't be sanded out. the little crevises are too big to be sanded away. But maple, you can sand that very smooth, with 1500 grit if you want to.

And the part about "your fingers never touch the wood" . Really ? on most necks your fingers do touch the wood. They will on any fret lower that .040", i think.

man, I just got done with a fret-job and thought there would be something more fun going on here.

yeah.... that was strange why you would start a post section about which wood makes it faster and then go on to say that your fingers never touch the wood... hmmm interesting. Rock maple is my personal favorite for the blues when you have low and jumbo frets. just oil it up good and i think youll be safe.

Oh man....what a stupid thread. Several facts:

1. If you touch the fingerboard during slides, your technique is not optimal and you will never be able to play slides as fast as possible.

2. It is not correct that you do NEVER touch the wood with a good playing technique. During bendings you nearly cannot avoid getting in contact with the fingerboard as long as you play in the lower frets. It is correct though that getting in contact with the fingerboard should be avoided as much as possible if you want to develop a high playing speed.

3. For these few instances where you really touch the fingerboard during playing it makes no difference concerning playing speed if the fingerboard is made from maple or rosewood or even plastic.

4. The only thing which could really influence your contact with the fingerboard is the height of the frets. Another thing which are not supporting fast slides and fast playing are very wide frets, as they create more friction between your hands/the strings and the fret.

@Wes: I would recommend to move stupid and misleading threads like this one in the rant section. Why should the forum vote on something that's complete nonsense in the first place? If the question would be which fingerboard woods people prefer then it would make sense, but to vote if maple or rosewood is faster during slides? :D

@Wes: I would recommend to move stupid and misleading threads like this one in the rant section. Why should the forum vote on something that's complete nonsense in the first place? If the question would be which fingerboard woods people prefer then it would make sense, but to vote if maple or rosewood is faster during slides? :D

thank you for your "reccomendation"

however,as this thread is not in the tech section(this is the general topics area)and as there is no foul language or hard feelings(until your post that is B) ) then i find that there is nothing wrong here.

the best thing to do in a case like this is to just offer your opposing view(in a less antagonistic manner preferably)

i mean really ,what is the worse that can happen?someone might make a guitar with a maple fretboard and prefer it for unexplainable reasons?

let the kid prefer his maple and in time his opinion will most likely change anyway :D

Your fingers do touch the wood if you have low frets. and the wood does make a difference with the bend ons. not slide... i dont see why you would need this for a slide dude. I personally am not good enough to slide that well, but you dont need a different wood to slide "faster" or whatever. but there is no reason to gang up on him although this may be incorrect.

No, there's nothing wrong with this topic. I think a wood type can have some kind of subliminal effect ( I probably spelled subliminal wrong). Could even create a certain tone that makes you play fast. I play faster when I use a crappy sounding solid state amp, just because I'm in a hurry to try to find a note or chord that sounds better than the one I just played. Or maybe if the maple is from your home-land and the rosewood is from another country, you feel some kind of "bond" with the maple. Ok, now you will all think I'm nuts for writing that.

I guess what I just wrote would even go against some of what I wrote yesterday about it.

and as there is no foul language or hard feelings(until your post that is)

Hey don't get me wrong....My post should not sound aggressive towards anyone.

My personal opinion is that this thread is quite stupid, but as I don't have to read it, I'll simply not post in it again. Sorry if my post sounded that aggressive.... :D

and as there is no foul language or hard feelings(until your post that is)

Hey don't get me wrong....My post should not sound aggressive towards anyone.

My personal opinion is that this thread is quite stupid, but as I don't have to read it, I'll simply not post in it again. Sorry if my post sounded that aggressive.... :D

fair enough

Actually, I think everybody is right.

Playing music is so individualistic.

Lets look at the contributing factors:

1) the type of music played (prog, blues, flamenco, folk, soft jazz, hard jazz, etc.)

2) the physical makeup of the player (slender long fingers, short stub-nubs, pencil-necked geek playuh, musclebound he-man basher, etc.)

3) the various elements of the neck (radius, girth, frets, etc)

4) the way the individual player 'attacks' his guitar playing. Look at, say, Stevie Ray Vaughan who literally physically attacked his guitar while playing, and Liona Boyd, who holds her guitar as if it were a newborn baby.

You gonna tell me Johnny Ramone never touched his fretboard? He literally wore them away within a year or two.

And look at all the old Fender Maple necks that are only worn-thru the finish in the more popular positions...

I don't think you can generalize it. For one guy, Maple 'board might just in fact be faster for him. It just depends on who's playing, what they're playing, how they're playing it, and what they're playing it on.

Wouldn't it be a boring old world if we were all the same. :D

Besides, playing fast is sooooo overrated anyway.... B) WOO-HOO!!! :D

man, i'll be honest, i hate the feel of laquer on maple boards. when i'm playing bass, i love a good wenge fretless fingerboard. feels so...so...perfect.

but the closest thing to that on guitar (other than wenge) would be rosewood, which all of my guitars/basses are right now except for my semi-plastic feeling board on my cheap uke...

therefore, i vote (and am the only one to do so) rosewood.

basically its not a pointless thread, its a vote on opinion. fact being that a maple lacquered board and a rosewood laquered board (ahhhh - hehe, i wouldnt honestly do that!!!) would probably be almost identical. i do think that finish effects the playing speed. glossy laquer will (in my experience) play slower than a nice oiled, bare board.

i agree with whoever said about style - Drak i think. yeh, play hard, and fretboard will matter more, but any fretboard will slow you the same amount.

i think if you play a fretboard for a long time you can really get used to its tonal charecteristics etc... and subconsciously think its playing better. im not sure. ive owned rosewood board guitars for 6-1/2 years now but i must say i wouldnt think it would play any faster or better than maple.

i never touch the fretboard while playing - scalloped, and i love it. i have a really light touch when i play, and when i switch to my gibbo kit i really can feel the fretboard slowing me down - it aint scalloped. and is also medium wire - ibanez has jumbo.

basically - fretwood wont change speed in my opinion. it will change tone etc...

my 2 cents!

This is quite ironic. I was just negotiating a price for a re-fret with a customer and told him " I sometimes take trades, but I hate to even say that, because people expect me to take stuff I really don't want".

So he says, " well I have this Washburn N2 neck that's been sitting around for 5 years, because I can't stand a rosewood board and had bought a maple board neck from Warmoth".

So it looks like I'll take the neck. Not sure if I really want it, but it's not too bad of a trade, since he's giving me money too.

• 1 month later...

ive always felt that maple boards are quicker,

heres a possible reason!

when your fingers sweat, the rosewood will soak a certain amount up, but a lacquered maple board will not soak any moisture up , leabing the fretboard and frets 'lubricated' :D

just my €0.02