Kemp Guitars - 2021 Build Thread

Hey PG readers!

Happy new year... At least as happy as it can be 😬

So, the first build of the year 2021 is another custom KR3. This time in black with Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan pups (to be swapped out with some BKPs before sending to my client). Enjoy the pics, comments welcome 😄

custom-kemp-kr3-1.jpg

custom-kemp-kr3-2.jpg

custom-kemp-kr3-3.jpg

custom-kemp-kr3-4.jpg

Edited by Guest

Matte black??? Isn't that one of the most difficult surfaces to master? Looks good though with the shiny gold! And the inlaid jack, such a delicious detail...

Don't they make matte pickups to match?

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 2:27 PM, Bizman62 said:

Matte black??? Isn't that one of the most difficult surfaces to master? Looks good though with the shiny gold! And the inlaid jack, such a delicious detail...

Don't they make matte pickups to match?

Takes some practice regardless of colour as there's no sanding flat afterwards but end results are always improving 👍

2021. Proving to be another year of Corona BS with live music still ground to a halt and, although the UK starts easing restrictions again tomorrow, I don't see it getting much better anytime soon as a third wave is now engulfing much of Europe... Will this be the end of Kemp Guitars? We'll see. In the meantime, I got these finished this past week - the green KM2 is for sale (sorry if those five words breach forum rules as a business, but I need the cash)...

First up is this custom Strat style build with Mahogany body, Roasted Flame Maple neck, Ebony fretboard, Hipshot hardware and Seymour Duncan Jazz/Classic Stack/Distortion pickups...

olympic-strat-body-1.jpg

olympic-strat-body-3.jpg

olympic-strat-body-4.jpg

olympic-strat-body-2.jpg

And secondly, this 7-string KM2 with Mahogany archtop body, 9-piece Flame Maple/Black Limba/Indian Rosewood neck, Flame Maple fretboard, Hipshot bridge, Gotoh locking tuners, Kent Armstrong HR70-1/ST7E-1 pickups and matte Neon Green finish...

kemp-sevenstring-km2-1.jpg

kemp-sevenstring-km2-2.jpg

kemp-sevenstring-km2-3.jpg

kemp-sevenstring-km2-4.jpg

Thanks y'all!

• 5 weeks later...

New stock build underway in the Kemp Guitars workshop at the moment. Thought I'd go back to posting some build progress photos starting with this Ebony fretboard with Maple pinstripe/Ebony binding. This will be going on to the Maple/Rosewood neck you see there behind it.

36770841_IMG_20210420_1535141.jpg.e76c74e5d6abb15ea4fdc6c0f75a4d1f.jpg

The body will be a slightly new shape and made from a lovely piece of Sapele. However, I wanted some contrasting natural binding to seperate the Sapele from the front - which will be sprayed matte Black - so I went with a Maple drop top instead of simply binding as it'll also save time on grain filling and avoids the difficulties in gluing thin Maple binding strips to a curvy body outline with a forearm contour. The top is 8mm and has been bent over the forearm contour using a combination of steam/heat, recess on the back and glue/clamps... Perfect!

1493527970_IMG_20210423_1320011.jpg.06a124f613b0b4e346e9cbbbc1ccfe6e.jpg

More updates soon :)

Edited by Guest

On 4/27/2021 at 11:45 PM, killemall8 said:

Your builds are great, man. You build exactly like how i would do it.

Thank you! Comments very much appreciated :D

Neck paired to the Sapele/Maple body. The Maple is purely for the faux binding which will contrast the matte Black finish I plan to spray the top...

IMG_20210504_151452.jpg.cc5e787751b55adaa694125f842d8935.jpg

And in full...

IMG_20210504_151525.jpg.9f5476f4b0d79dc730e7dfb104a797dc.jpg