dunno what its called but

Curtis P

my friend has a guitar, Les Paul replica, well, its his dad's, but since its a replica, the pickgaurd isnt raised up, its flush to the guitar, and it has about 15 knobs on it, distortion, reverb, synth wah, whole bunch of stuff, and since my next project is a Les Paul replica (i am tracing the body from that one) i was thinkin, instead of the 4 volume and tone knobs, one master volume, then the other 3 are reverb and distortion and something else, but, how would i go about doing that? route a pocket for the chips to go in? and then wire it all together so that when i turn the knob, it comes on? or some other way? it looks kinda flambouyant (PM me if you dont know what that means) with all the knobs, he doesnt even play it, missing machine heads and bridge, but not to hi-jack my own post :D could this work?

Curtis

oh yeah it can work nicely.. i have a guitar with built in distoriton. of course its my own design of distortion. but still it kicks butt,

my sampler was oriignally in my guitar till i got tired of all the batts

the biggest problem imho with onboard FX is having to have somewhere for the batteries to go. since in my school i have access to a PCB lathe i can design circuit boards and make them suprisinglly small even without doing stuff like putting resistors on end etc.

the best onboard FX for most guitars would be distortion and fuzz circuits since in general they're much smaller than most others

You lucky dog! I have to use Toner Transfer to do PCB work, and iron it on a clad board - my success rate is about 60%. If you want to make really tiny boards, check out surface mount (SMD) components. Almost everything's available in SMD, even caps and resistors. My problem is they're too small for me to see (old and blind, i guess), but it saves an immense amount of space. I recently saw a working keyboard in a greeting card - the PCB was paper-thin, and potted to the back of the little speaker. If I could do that, I'd have a compressor and a parametric EQ built in to all my basses.

hey love craft. they make a magnafying glass that clamps on your desk and doubles as a light for around 60 bucks. new. at shields electronics

its the same one i use for my crap.. lol......... i do regular sized chips and compenents smt style on rgular boards. i found out the hard way when i ddint' mirror one day and have never drilled since then

the surface mounted stuff is actually a tad too small to bve much use. the board lathe i can use is perfect for doing standard width tracks but since im not alowed to play with the settings (it belonging to the school not me lol) it can only do standard stuff. doesnt stop me making the board for my treble boost (including the milenium bypass mod) 5.5 by 3.5 cm :D

talking about compressors, does any body know how to do the daul kind with two different compressors for the highs and lows. I have a trace elliot dual smx comp. and its the best damn thing I own for bass! BUt its abit dodgy at the mo, so I'm concered about getting another one.

Trust me these things knock the socks off your standard compressor!

A multi-band compressor is just an active crossover with a compressor for each band and a mixer. It's a great way to add punch without muddying up the mix. That SMX Dual Comp is a great pedal, but they are getting harder to find (and more expensive). The crossover is a 12dB/octave Butterworth, with the treble high-passed at 225Hz and the bass low-passed at 900 Hz. If you want to design a replacement, check out the manual here to get all the specs.

Brian

I have tried to buy it off him many times, and believe me when i go up tommorow night to hang out, i will ask him again, hell i will offer a fair amount of cash, but if he dont take it, then i ain askin again, cuz he will get pis$ed

Thanks guys

Curtis

actually, i was just thinking, www.guitargadget.com has lots of schematics and such, i can get all my caps and resitors at Radio Shack and my friend is a whiz at building little electronic boards, i will hand him the schematic and the parts and he can build me about two circuit boards that are mounted in the guitar and the 9 volters in the back, if i cant make it fly then i will just hollow out the rest of the body and put a quilted maple top on it, add some crappy pickups from a pawn shop guitar (that i yet to get :D) and call it a Les Paul hollow body B)

Wish me luck, i will try and buy just the pickgaurd with the electronics in it, and if not, the entire guitar, wish me luck

Curtis

BMXGUY

The guitar i want to buy looks like that, only its Yellow, like the Randy Rhoads one, except he has a freakin huge pickgaurd thing with about 50 million knobs on it, it looks fugly, but everything on it works, if it had machine heads and a bridge, its been sittin under a couple shelves for 17 years and we plugged it into an amp and tapped on the humbuckers, you could hear a slight sound, everything worked, i been tryin to buy it, but since i pretty much ordered all my pickups and truss rod and all the stuff for my project guitar, i have no cash for it, so, it will have to wait a bit later, besides, it aint goin anywhere :D

BTW, yes, something like that can be built, that is what i am tackaling next, so i will keep you posted on schematics and all if you want, if you need more info, send me a PM

Curtis

I built a bass with effects modules in it, it's got a distortion and phaser module. All I did was get the pedals, pull the guts out of them, and hardwire it all together inside the guitar. Oh and it's got a preamp too. Easy to do (once you figure out your grounding haha), and it just takes four nine volt batteries wired in parallel to power everything, and I expect the batteries to last a couple of years at least. Click herefor pictures and stuff.