RR/ESP Aero inspired neckthrough project

Vanilla sauce on vanilla ice cream? Referring to @ADFinlayson's "Fifty Shades of Cream" issue in his current thread you may run into unpredictable issues.

If binding is something you'd like for strength but wanted it to be subtle, how about white pearloid? That might look "cleaner" than cream and should also match the colour better than pure white. As you know, there's fifty shades of white as well and mixing them can hurt your eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, nakedzen said:

That's ipa

It's clever to have your beer under a lid in a dusty environment but isn't that very shape quite clumsy to drink from?

• Haha 1

Damn you heavy users! You made me google for other meanings of ipa...

The misleading abbreviations for pure alcohols make me think of some secret "boozers' association" who've created a code language to sound like sophisticated intellects while talking about their favourite beverages...

DNA and IPA? I do admit that they sound funny to use without providing additional context.... 😄

Acetone is boring by comparison.

Hey, you'll want to check those slightly bent frets before fitting them. At best they'll be difficult to handle when seating, since they're far easier when the bottom of the tang sits into the top of the slot, at worst they might have enough spring to pop out when seated. Nickel silver frets are more malleable (ductile?) than harder alloys like stainless steel, but it's worth making your life a bit easier before you make it harder!

• Like 1

Started fret leveling by straightening the neck, and the dreaded s-curve emerges. Any good ideas?

Should I thin the neck at the heel and frets 1-10 to get a more even thinning of the neck all the way from the heel to the nut? Now the neck is pretty much the same thickness all the way.

I'm getting a curve of around 0.5mm at 6th fret, level at frets 1-3 and 12-18, curve of 0.25mm at fret 21.

As I didn't even know what the "dreaded s-curve" actually means, I googled... And found this: https://hazeguitars.com/blog/s-shaped-guitar-neck

However, I don't think that his theory about the secondary pressure of the truss rod would be that much of an issue with dual action rods.

1 hour ago, nakedzen said:

I'm getting a curve of around 0.5mm at 6th fret, level at frets 1-3 and 12-18, curve of 0.25mm at fret 21.

Are the curves down or up? If they're down, the dip at the 6th fret is something that the most skilled luthiers have carved to their fretboards for centuries. Similarly a fallout at the last frets is common practice.

• Like 1

You may be interested in this as well, I know you'll understand the language of the article:https://riffi.fi/artikkelit/juttunaytteet/kaularaudan-saato-sopiva-monttu-kruunaa-otelaudan

I'd try tightening the truss rod to get the fretboard as level as possible. A notched straightedge will help. Then level the frets as you'd normally do.

• Like 1

With jumbo frets you'd only be touching the strings anyway so leveling the crowns will do. If you'd push the strings down to the wood using jumbo frets you'd be out of tune with every note!

Think about playing a Gittler guitar... No fretboard at all! And you can still get clean notes out of it.

• Like 1