RR/ESP Aero inspired neckthrough project

"heavy metal triangle" lol, noice.  looks like some limba?  don't even have a guess for the fretboard.  def a nice mixture of wood.

I've always loved the look of flying v but have never had one because I always play sitting down and just can't make that work.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally had the time to resaw and plane the neck blank for this. The leftovers of the blank are enough for another neckthrough once I glue them together.

Wings are too large still, at least I have space to saw some notches for clamps. :D Maybe I was a bit too eager to cut them into shape, but I did prefer to do it before glue-up. Much easier to handle the small pieces.

20211223_090957.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 8:39 AM, nakedzen said:

Oh yeah, you can def play a V sitting down, you just need to hold it like a classical guitar.

alexi_laiho_clinic_by_madoa.jpg

that is actually how I play (classical) but I find that not having the lower horn to rest on my leg makes it really awkward for me.  that said... in the 80's they had those flip out legs on most of the flying v's... perhaps that'd do it.  will have to try one some day... for now I'll just live vicariously through your build - hehe.

afa glue up... just a thought but if I had to do this (after cutting) I'd prob consider doing a couple dowels to hold things in position.  just a thought.

• Like 1

Dowels, Dominos, etc. are excellent for providing relative positioning between pieces. Some purists think (falsely) that it's not right to use them for some nebulous farty reason, but then again, they can always be placed in the pickup routs and neck pocket, etc. 😄

As long as subsequent work doesn't leave them exposed, nobody will be the wiser and the instrument will still be perfect!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Dowels, Dominos, etc. are excellent for providing relative positioning between pieces. Some purists think (falsely) that it's not right to use them for some nebulous farty reason, but then again, they can always be placed in the pickup routs and neck pocket, etc. 😄

As long as subsequent work doesn't leave them exposed, nobody will be the wiser and the instrument will still be perfect!

my next band name: "nebulous farty reason"

can always use "tone dowels" hehe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2021 at 12:02 PM, ADFinlayson said:

Looks like this is going to be a cool build, I've made a few guitars with that maple from magic_wood, it comes up nice :) 

I just bought some flamed maple from magic_wood for my next build, still waitng for it to arrive but looks great on the pictures and he/she was very friendly, so I'll probably use them again in the future 

Edited by asgeirogm
  • Like 1

Binding or no binding?

AEROSPACE.thumb.png.f2b876bcfb5b176b77840252bc16e6ac.png

1054229378_aerospacebindingcream.thumb.png.370a9b09a41a8e8f24de1ac65a610193.png

Starting to look like a guitar slowly. Messed up a small bit of the fretboard, bearing decided to become loose from the pattern bit at an inopportune moment. Small enough to hide thankfully. Black theater powder works great for coloring sawdust and superglue btw.

20220105_160104.thumb.jpg.d1d6c4ad5f0ba34322dc644e5990558f.jpg

20220105_160121.thumb.jpg.900c9726cc07ba24dc2931338673dfa8.jpg

20220105_160142.thumb.jpg.4cba62e97fd276e59d40bdf342b768c0.jpg

1 hour ago, nakedzen said:

Binding or no binding?

Based on the images I'd say binding although a minimalistic approach does make a statement as well. But what colour of binding are you thinking about? If you're planning white with black pickups and chrome hardware, black binding might look better than the brown on the picture.

• Like 1

Ahh, low contrast... I can buy "cream" for the colour on the images but on pure white that might look dirty. Or rather "kusenpolttama" (for you non-Finnish that's the colour of the inner front of originally snow white undies). A pure white-black(-white) should look good, the black pinstripe actually would be better than a wide black band, yet it would outline the guitar nicely.

I was thinking about black pearloid as an option but that wouldn't match with the matte black pickups.