High End Build - this one is gonna take a while

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I just realized my post could be understood in several ways. My intention was to argue against lazy manufacturers and vendors who don't have samples. Of course they can sell more stuff when each customer buys all the options. But how many potential customers are turned away because they can't figure out what to choose and won't pay for the full set?

I actually got where you were going with it. I just took it in a different direction. I bought my crushed stone on-line (shocker!!!). This place DOES have samples, though it's a crap-shoot whether they're in stock for that stone or not. Whether I bought some random samples and played with them or I bought full bags, I'm paying shipping either way. While I'm not sparing any expense on this build, I also don't want to be foolish about it, so I made the value judgment and ended up buying the wrong thing. I'm not really upset about it at all - I don't know what I'm doing and I made the wrong 50/50 call. Life goes on. 

"Don't fire 'till you see the whites of their eyes!" 

I got half of her eyes in powdered MOP and her lips in some sort of crushed red stone. Hopefully it'll look bright enough to pass for red lipstick. Her nipples ended up a LOT darker than I wanted.

This thing is so ugly with all the cleanup that still needs to be done. It's gonna take a LONG time with a cabinet scraper.

20230202_130752.thumb.jpg.cc697a73768a68220ed3e9f0ed874040.jpg

• Like 2

Mostly cleaned up & wet with mineral spirits. The only thing left on the top is the fabric on the left of the control cavity cover, a piece of the outline of her scarf that y'all prolly can't notice, and the cavity cover itself.

20230204_144507.thumb.jpg.7740b1f0db6cb7a5d7f83e8aa4ee89e6.jpg

Also, this was a complete shit show. I'm not sorry I did it, but I ain't never  doing anything like this on an acoustic back again. Which is not to say I'll not do any more goofy/extravagant inlay work in the future, just not on a thin piece like an acoustic back/top.

This means I'm DEFINITELY going to do something like this, hopefully this year. With 3 P90s

6cc90f8ba130dd169992679cf27b64a5.jpg.c8e92a7d330c1547efd1690bb2e1d902.jpg

Mucha-Summer.thumb.jpg.e1cfe0ca974bcf1c69df385c596579d4.jpg

• Like 1

Also, all this stone inlay has really opened my eyes to other possibilities. It would be a simple matter to use various grades of crushed stone to make fretboard inlays. The tricky part would be to accurately rout out the shape, but that's just a thorough prep job and a lot of patience. And the actual process of inlaying the stone is so easy. 

I might need to invest in some fine detail chisels and gouges. I hope Scott R. is watching this thread, cuz I could sure use some recommendations.

9 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I might need to invest in some fine detail chisels and gouges.

A fellow builder made one out of a cheap small screwdriver by replacing the small plastic handle to a more ergonomic wooden one and reshaping the tip.

58 degrees outside this afternoon! I was so dang happy to get outside and FINALLY get some stuff done in the workshop!!!

Giggity GIFs | Tenor

So first up, I needed to trim the top flush with the body

20230205_152606.thumb.jpg.cc2ec6051b37ea9d083c148520769d73.jpg

20230205_153048.thumb.jpg.7800aabb1de8ce94daa283058cbbf5aa.jpg

Next, I've been waiting for months to be able to take down the block inlays on the rosewood neck. Work smart, kids, not hard. Screw cutting or sanding them down when you have a Wagner Safe-T-Planer

20230205_153220.thumb.jpg.d2c6166105d32ef8bb34dd3fafc00ac6.jpg

20230205_153649.thumb.jpg.4196dfaa244effec9fe62136d7a146e8.jpg

If I got 'em down any closer, I'd dig into the fretboard. Which is exactly what happened once!

I was able to use the belt sander to take off most of the extra epoxy from the headstock inlays. The palm unit got the rest. It's so pretty wetted down with mineral spirits! It's really gonna pop under the lacquer.

20230205_164851.thumb.jpg.4ff638b8bc29bfcd9bd96a2434f0d2cf.jpg 

I had left myself a note so that I wouldn't get ahead of myself. I've screwed up too often in the past. Know your weaknesses and work within them!

20230205_164916.thumb.jpg.87fa4ae4f394670816d06e4571363d15.jpg

So I cut the tenon and routed the fretboard to the template.

20230205_164928.thumb.jpg.827fef800db0176a20d58dccaaffbf59.jpg

This was soooooo satisfying. I'm excited to be able to get out there again tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Wagner Safe-t-planers still exist?

Are/were they really marketed to be used in a drill press? If so, that is very irresponsible. Although I have to appreciate dark humor in that product name. You shouldn’t ever do any milling operations with a taper shank machine without a draw bar.

8 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I had left myself a note so that I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

How clever to write it on the object itself instead of separate notes!

2 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Wagner Safe-t-planers still exist?

Is that the same that Stew-Mac still sells?

16 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Is that the same that Stew-Mac still sells?

Appears to be a same/similar product and according to five star reviews many lucky users lived to write a review. Well, to be honest I think the most likely outcome in a situation where it fails is that the work piece is ruined. And of course bearings in a cheap drill press are not meant to withstand much lateral force.

I'm 100% certain than I'm not the only person to have raised this. To the average person, this issue may not seem obvious until is absolutely sharp chompy spinning death-ily does.

Even if it wasn't an issue with the taper, the bearings in drill presses aren't built for that type of force either. Not that this will chew bearings in the short term, but will progressively increase play and uncertainty in centring for actual drilling.

• Like 1

All I can personally testify to is that I've never had any sort of safety issue with it, not have I felt unsafe in any reasonable way. The drill press doesn't spin fast enough for it to grab the piece pit of my hands. Per the instructions, I take tine bites, like maybe 1mm at a time. Any more than that and it gets jerky, but again not enough to yank it out of my hands. Like any other spinny cutty blade of flesh mutilation, I keep my fingers well away from the tool.

FWIW: I've prolly had this thing for 15 years. I've used it less than 10 times, including the two times I've used it on this build. The blades are still sharp. This is because it's not intended for regular use. This is one of those things that you whip out when all the stars align, just like any other specialty tool. It is of limited use and should be kept on the shelf accordingly.

RE: lateral force/bearing/wear. To me, this falls under the same idea as using a family sedan to haul a trailer loaded with 2 tons of material. Is the vehicle & engine intended for that type of torque? No. Can it be done once in a while? Yes. Will the engine fail? Not if it's only occasionally, but if it's abused like this daily it will fail much sooner.

I'm glad that you've not had any issues, but that's definitely not guarantee other people won't. It's a hobbyist tool, and one that you'd never get away with using in a professional context. I could never recommend it beyond a super heavy thick layer of caveat'ing. It's the same as drill press drum sanding, however with those you can have a bearing on the end that seats in the table to prevent excessive lateral force loosening the chuck taper.

Plenty of time spent in the workshop today. Mostly, it was looking, thinking, comparing, sizing, and all over again from the start. Y'all know how it is. But that doesn't mean NOTHING got done. I sanded down the inlays on the rosewood neck more-or-less flush. There's still work to be done with the radius block, but the vast majority of the heavy lifting is done.

20230206_122545.thumb.jpg.535975cb2d4a4e2ad7ce7ef2ec6bd2c3.jpg

20230206_122550.thumb.jpg.80b1490d62f56f5e1fbf32517e8fb214.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Closing the box.

I'm not even a little bit nervous. I'm POSITIVE I've screwed this up somewhere, and that it'll need tome epoxy filler in the top joint just like the top did.

20230215_141307.thumb.jpg.9fe24501d81685e82dd08c12602278a1.jpg

Also, off to the right, a lady from church wanted me to restoration on her childhood ukulele. I strongly advised her against it as it was only worth about $150 in great condition. But she's emotionally invested in it and that over-rides logic.

• Like 1