Starting Guitar #4

6 hours ago, Nicco said:

Bloody nice looking scraps of wood! 😳

So true!

That said, a board too thin for a one piece strat type neck is plenty tall enough for a slanted headstock when split and slats of 1½" width seem to be in scrap bins where ever some sort of renovation is being made.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, woodfab said:

She want me to take my shirt and pants before leaving my shop

I don't know where your shop is but as many of them are in the backyard (the men in their sheds) it might be somewhat confusing for the neighbours watching a naked guy run across the yard with clothes tucked under his arm, spreading dust all over the place! Like Pig-Pen of the Peanuts.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, woodfab said:

I don't have nut files so I'm trying to come up with the most efficient way of making them

Out of curiosity I tested my rough-edged feeler gauges on a copper tube, Worked just fine, could cut through the wall with a 0.15mm/0.006" blade in a few minutes. Silly me, I mixed the thicknesses thinking I'd be cutting the high e slot! The 0.010 blade wouldn't have wobbled half as much.

WP_20230822_001 (Medium).jpg

6 hours ago, woodfab said:

feeler gauge, no teeth, wow.

Actually it has some sort of teeth, or rather a file pattern made. I put each blade into my tiny vice and rounded and roughened the edge with a coarse file. It sort of worked but even with bone it seemed a bit slow so I took a small hobby metal saw and scraped the cutting edge, moving the saw blade diagonally across the feeler gauge towards the tip, both sides for a soft V or something like that. It now cuts when pushed.