NEW TOY!

Lex Luthier

newgun.jpg

Campbell Hausfeld HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun. I need a larger compressoer to run this gun, so I plan on getting THIS real soon, like maybe this Friday.

I will be taking the gun to work tomorrow and after hours will do some test spraying to get a feel for the gun and some samples of finishes for myself.

I can't say what I thought it was when the page first loaded. All I could see was the top part of that thing and it looked like a receptacle for a certain body part.

Anyway,.... looks like you're set to do some shootin now, huh? Do you have a spray booth? If not, where do you spray?

I don't have a spray booth...at home. I just do it in my back yard.

I was trying out the gun with my little Craftsman compressor and the thing works great. Even though the gun requires twice as much air as my compressor can supply, the small area of painting a guitar is fine. Basically the compressor would cut in three times well spraying: once after I finish the top, again when I finish the back, and again when I spray the sides. No biggie, and no need to drop $600 on a new compressor.

SWEET gun LGM. I was looking around a little on the net and saw those SATA guns with the digital readout. COOL. How well do those spray? What's the quatlity of the final finish?

I'm making up some sample pieces of stained Walnut, the same color as a bass I'm making, and I will be testing Gloss, Semi-Gloss, and Satin in Deft Lacquer and Defthane Polyurethane to see which looks the nicest, and closest to what the $900-ish Kremlin MX at my work can spray.

SWEET gun LGM. I was looking around a little on the net and saw those SATA guns with the digital readout. COOL. How well do those spray? What's the quatlity of the final finish?

Hey Lex,

My previous gun, the Artisan was really nice, the final spray quality was nearly glass like, very nice. With the Satajet, it is absolute glass, uses less paint, but allows way nicer atomizing and flow than the HVLP. I have HVLP's and absolutely hate them. The Satajet RP is called reduced pressure, it's somewhere in between high pressure and HVLP.

It works absolutely fantastic though, the gun is bloody expensive, but it's what I do for a living (more than just guitars, I also do motorbikes and will actually be doing a race car the first week of march). My cost on it was $700 with GST and list on them is $1100.

The digital readout I thought was lame at first, then I used it and wow, what a great way to monitor your airflow! Way nicer than the dial guages I have on all the other guns.

If you want to be serious about painting, Iwata and Sata are the only companies worth looking at anymore.

Where my Artisan was the Transam of spray guns, the Sata is definitely the Ferrari.

Hi

How much trainning did you guys have before becomming any good with spray guns.....Whats the best way to learn ?

Alan

Alan,

The best way to learn is by spraying lots of paint. I've been painting for years, but only in the last year have I felt like my actual spray quality has been good. I've always had nice finishes, but they used to come with about 10 hours of sanding and buffing, now I can get a sprayed finish that requires only about 15 minutes of sanding and about 1 hour to buff out a full body. I have taught myself virtually everything I know about painting, but I've also got a few hundred gallons of paint under my belt now.

but I've also got a few hundred gallons of paint under my belt now

I figure I've sprayed over 250 Gallons of lacquer since I became the sprayer three months ago at my job.

I had only used spray paint, and had just bought a little "jamb" gun and compressor and had only sprayed a stool I made prior to becoming the sprayer (the last sprayer had to be laid off, so they were desparate). I feel I've become fairly good at spraying. I work 10 hour shifts, and am spraying for most of that, so after three months you pick it up. The best way to get good is practice, so just spray stuff. When I first became the sprayer it was like 'Here's the gun, spray this'. At first I did easy stuff, like drawerboxes, then a week later they had me doing cabinets and chairs. They just kinda threw this stuff at me, and I now believe it was an exellent way to get me experienced in spraying.

$700!?!? WOW! I think when I get REALLY good, and I start doing stuff like you I'd invest in a gun like that, but for now I think my CH will do me fine. I did some test sprays and it looks like it sprays a fairly nice finish.

whoa! that is nice! looks kinda warped, but I guess just not settled/flat yet, right? very shiny!

Lex, since you spray outside - then you're not able to spray until a few months from now, right? I live in the NE US so I'm in a similar situation. I have a small spray booth'ish setup in the basement but I still don't like using it in the Winter since I still need to exhaust while it's hanging (which means I need make-up air). I've been thinking about finding an automotive paint shop to do my clear coats for me (in the winter) but I've been too lazy to look into it yet.

Thats some impressive kit guys. I'd love to be able to paint/spray well but I don't think it'll happen for a few years yet.

Got my spray gun and compressor sorted last night, it's quite old but it's well kept. It also comes with the most useful tool for a novice sprayer too......

...... Someone that can spray and works for beer :D

Lex, since you spray outside - then you're not able to spray until a few months from now, right? I live in the NE US so I'm in a similar situation. I have a small spray booth'ish setup in the basement but I still don't like using it in the Winter since I still need to exhaust while it's hanging (which means I need make-up air). I've been thinking about finding an automotive paint shop to do my clear coats for me (in the winter) but I've been too lazy to look into it yet.

The weather isn't bad around here, I could probably spray now. I'm actually doing some samples today.