PegHead Question?

Rones

Hi

On my neck blank, I have enough material to cut the entire neck plus the peghead as one piece, not attaching the peghead from a cut piece as outlined in the Melvin Hiscock book and several tutorials in this blog space.

My question, do you think that the peghead will have enough strength as just one piece of an extension of the neck itself, or should i go about it Hiscock's way?

Hopefully not too confusing....

rones

the peghead angle will be 13 degrees, the neck itself is a five ply laminate, of mahogany/maple veneer/walnut/maple veneer/mahogany.

If i do the carbon rods, do they inlay in the back of the peghead, or the front?

Thanks for the replies!

Rones

I have no hands-on expirience with your problem. With that choice of woods I would not use carbon rods at all though. It should be stable enough. If you want more security then reduce the peghead angle a little.

Disclaimer: I never tried to build a neck from these woods and with that peghead angle without doing a scarf joint, so my opinion might not be correct. Not that you blame me in the end if it doesn't work out....