Would you guys steer me away from floating

lotass

Would you guys steer me away from a floating tremolo bridge for my first guitar? Just because if I made a crappy neck it'll wreck my whole guitar etc? Any thoughts or ideas? I really do want a floyd rose floating tremolo guitar, but it's not like if I don't make one im gonna go buy one. I can always do it for a second guitar etc.

I don't think it's that much harder to build one, so it's really up to you.

Now, constantly -playing- one and keeping it in tune is another story :D

But if that's what you want, go ahead and build it. If you screw it up, I figure you would have screwed up a TOM guitar too. So what the hey, might as well build what you want.

It's a lot of trouble, money, and effort to build a guitar, I only build ones that freakin' rock my world, nothing less will do. It's a lot of effort involved, so why not go for broke and build -exactly- what will drive you insane with happiness?

That's the way I look at it anyway. B)

I'm with Drak on this one. Only consider money when it's guitar vs. feeding yourself. For ~$500-600, you can build a bass with the quality of a $4000 dollar instrument, if you do it right (research included). Or, for $250, you cold build a bass with the quality of a $150 bass. I use bass as an example because that's what I'm doing (I'd assume that applies to guitars too, though).

Just make sure you research ALL your parts. Get it down to brand name and source, until every locking strap button and string retainer is accounted for.

$.02

ya got to start somewhere, and there are routing templates that take the guess work out of installing floyds these days, if you're worried about making a less then amazing neck that really has nothing to do with the floyd, it's going to affect playability regardless of the bridge, well maybe dive bombs won't return as well to pitch but you'll still have tuning problems regardless.

drake makes a good point :D

Ok, I'd love to build my dream guitar but, seeing as it's my first guitar, what if it's horrible? I know the body will be fine but what if the fretting is horrible and it wrecks the rest of the guitar and i have a 150$ bridge on a POS guitar? etc...thoughts please?

Well the hardware can always be moved to another guitar so that's a given. Just purchase the best you can simply afford because you can move it to the next one.

If this is your first though, I would say build it without going wild on exotic and expensive wood itself for the body and fret board.

Even though your going to take your time and try to make it the ultimate, use this one as a learning curve for the second one. Misteaks and problems will arise and you'll figure out a better way to work around them, plus your going to be able to slide right on past them the second go around from experiance.

Well the hardware can always be moved to another guitar so that's a given. Just purchase the best you can simply afford because you can move it to the next one.

If this is your first though, I would say build it without going wild on exotic and expensive wood itself for the body and fret board.

Even though your going to take your time and try to make it the ultimate, use this one as a learning curve for the second one. Misteaks and problems will arise and you'll figure out a better way to work around them, plus your going to be able to slide right on past them the second go around from experiance.

yeah thanks.... im gonna just go with indian rosewood instead of brazilian or ebony, just 15$...hey Brian, you sell floyd roses i hear?

No thats Derek, mine are "Licensed by" in other words companys like Gotoh and Schaller purchased the rights to use the basic design but they have to place the "Licensed by Floyd Rose" insignia on them since they would be liable on a copyright infrigment if they didn't.

I don't think it's that much harder to build one, so it's really up to you.

Now, constantly -playing- one and keeping it in tune is another story :D

But if that's what you want, go ahead and build it. If you screw it up, I figure you would have screwed up a TOM guitar too. So what the hey, might as well build what you want.

It's a lot of trouble, money, and effort to build a guitar, I only build ones that freakin' rock my world, nothing less will do. It's a lot of effort involved, so why not go for broke and build -exactly- what will drive you insane with happiness?

That's the way I look at it anyway. B)

you could use the speedloader if you wanna stay in tune