Idea for a tool

renablistic

I don't know if you have ever seen these, but they make these extension things for lathes where it makes an exact copy of an all ready turned thing.

So my idea is a little device that adds on to a router base of your dremel. it's 5 cm's long. You place the inlay piece 5 cms away from where you want it and glue it down. Then you turn on your dremel and you run the fence extension thing along the edges of teh inlay piece, causing the dremel to make an exact sized route where you want it! then you just rout out the middle by hand. this would result in a route that perfectly fits a custom cut piece of MOP or abalone or etc. And no filler woul dbe needed, it would be a perfect route!

Do you understand what i'm saying, or does it just seem crazy?

-john

I've always wanted to try something that's sorta similar to your idea. I wanted to make a template of the headstock inlay I have. Then place it over the mother of pearl or whatever you using. Then trace it right along the inside of the template. Next cut out the pearl directly on the outside of the line leaving the line. Next, use some kinda small dremel bit and using the template route out the design. Then just glue in the inlay. Not sure it would work great or not, but that's what I'm gonna try on the next neck. Of course I'll practice on a scrap piece of wood first. Think that would work?

they should make little CNC router that cut perfect inlays. they use CNC routers to make production guitars, why not inlays too. then again you could use a laser cutter, but not many people have access to that. i'm not even sure if a laser would cut through the pearl. can a laser cuttter cut MOP? and John, i nice little name for your device would be a "Duplicarver" however, it sounds so catchy i think it has already been taken.

they should make little CNC router that cut perfect inlays. they use CNC routers to make production guitars, why not inlays too. then again you could use a laser cutter, but not many people have access to that. i'm not even sure if a laser would cut through the pearl. can a laser cuttter cut MOP? and John, i nice little name for your device would be a "Duplicarver" however, it sounds so catchy i think it has already been taken.

Hate to tell you but they've been doing inlays with CNC machines for years. You don't think that PRS does those Dragon guitars by hand do you? lol Here's a link to Driskill guitars showing his Tree Of Life inlay. You can clearly see he's using a CNC machine just as PRS does for theirs.

• 4 weeks later...

On the new yanky workshop, Norm used a two peice coller set on a router to make a ducthman patch. first it routs a cavity and then pop the outer sleeve off exposing a smaller one and then cuts a perfect patch useing the same template for both cuts.

Somthing like that would probably work for inlays.

yeah i already know they have CNC machine for small detial work like inlays. i also know that PRS use CNC for inlay work too.

never buy PRS guitars. they are completely CNC machined, and even the buffing is done by a computer controlled machine. by the price they charge you could get a hand made guitar for cheaper.

but what i meant was what StonesCreed was saying. even if they made an inlay jig device. my uncle works for a company that has a CNC machines for small detail work. the company makes expensive furniture and boxes which are inlayed with pearls. i have tryed to get wood, pearl and cutting done from them but the boss is a paranoid wanker.

• 1 year later...

That isn't going to work. If you have a duplicator follow the outer edge of your inlay piece, the size of the cutout will be oversized by the radius of the following pin plus the radius of the cutter. You have to get the outer edge of the cutter to the same place as the edge of the inlay.

Using an inlay setup like those for wood where you rout the hole, remove the bearing, and rout out the inlay piece would work in theory, but would be rather wasteful and not very practical for pearl work. The size of the collar makes up for the diameter of the cutter.