Colored Inlay

Masecraft supply has a ton of blue shade recon stones. The number is online I believe. Just do a search for it.

Turquoise, in about 7 varieties, as well as blue plastics.

I am always using blue materials, dealing with water type colors.

They are out there, just not as shell.

You can try paua but you won't get a pure blue.

Go with a synthetic, or a stone material. They are a bit of a pain to work, however they are worth it.

The "light streaks" in the backdrop are blue atlantine (plastic), and the dorsal part of the tuna is lapis recon stone.

2engravedtuna.jpg

Here the water is paua abalam, white MOP, turquoise, and another blue recon stone masecraft carries. Sorry I forgot the name :D The dorsal fin is 35 seperate paua pieces, however you can see it's not really "blue"

wholesailfishfinal.jpg

Here is another use of turquoise- Earth. The green is gasparite recon stone, and the stars are silver wire.

goodEarth.jpg

Best of luck.

Craig

Thanks Guys. B)

Those are actually older pieces off my website,

www.handcraftinlay.com

(also as seen of the friends page! :D )

I am finishing up the lady of the lake inlay, and I have a few other new ones I have not shown you guys yet. She is in the works in progress, and her face is fully engraved now.

Nothing else major, just a truss cover, some cool fret markers.

I am starting my first "insane" inlay tonight actually.

I am just in the middle of pieceing it out.

It's a 200 or so piece leafy sea dragon. This one is a bit of a challenge.

I wish I had a guitar to put it on!

Right now it doesn't have a home.

I was going to inlay it into a box lid.

I promise some new works photos soon.

LGM you interested in making me a guitar for this inlay??? We should talk maybe..

PS- turquoise is really mostly blue, not much greens in the normal variety, others are available that have differing shades of colors.

Thanks!

Craig

It's a 200 or so piece leafy sea dragon. This one is a bit of a challenge.

I wish I had a guitar to put it on!

You can put it on my guitar and I won't charge you a penny! I just like helping people out! :D

Fantastic work dude. I couldn't even draw that lot yet alone do the inlay. Lets see pics of the rest soon.

Actually your both right. :D

Although it's a part time job right now. B)

I hopeing to get enough exposure to go full time very soon! I am pretty busy with inlays almost all the time, but it takes ALOT to go full time! :D

I believe in perseverance, and putting forth the best you can in quality.

One day it will happen! :D

Craig

• 4 weeks later...
I'm looking for some blue inlay material I dunno if it needs o be mop or abalone or what just lookin for some decent ideas wasnt too impressed by anything on the supplies page.

I have not bought anything from these people, but they have some really cool looking shells. They say verneer, but I am not sure how thick they are. Don't know about price either.

http://www.aquabluemaui.com/veneers.html

This place has a bit of everything.

http://www.mopsupplies.com/index.html

Shell veneer is so thin it cuts with an exacto blade. Like .006-.009

It's only suitable for inlay work IF you do something like this:

1) Do a regular inlay on a headstock

2) You have part of that inlay that you want to add an effect to, like a colored haze, etc.. whatever the veneer lets show through. It has to be translucent at least.

3) Cut your veneer to the desired shape and glue it OVER the part of the inlay you want shaded.

4) Don't sand a thing. It's way too thin.

5) Finish over the veneer, and build to thickness.

It can't be done on fretboards because you have to build the finish up to blend with the veneer thickness. I guess it could be done if you finish over the fretboard, but as it wears it looks terrible, and will be worn away very fast.

This has been done a few times I have seen, and gives a neat effect.

I have not tried this yet.

I may with some marine life ideas I have, but I'm not in a hurry just to try a new technique.

It's too thin for fretboards. The thinnest I have heard for fretboard use is .02, which is the thickness used in Asia a lot for fancy inlay. It works faster, but by our standards it appears cheap, and wears quickly.

Better staying well within .05-.06.

I only use .06 anymore for almost anything.

It has a lot more depth visually.

Craig