guitar world

ultraman

are you satisfied with the lessons in guitarworld?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The guitar world lessons are normally pretty good when they first start out. As the lessons go on, they run out of stuff to talk about, and just teach people how to play their songs. Zakk's column used to be pretty good when it first started up. He went through scales, picking technique, pinch harmonics (of course), improvisation, and a bunch of other stuff.

Joe Satchriani had a pretty good column as well. Well it was kind of boring, but if you could get through it, then you would learn a lot. He did a lot of theory.

Even Kirk Hammett's column was kind of useful... until Newstead left. Then it turned into 3 months of why he left lol.

But yeah, its pretty rare to get a good lesson article out of there. What i do like a lot are the "betcha can't play this" articles :D pretty hard stuff in there (for me anyway.)

You also have to take into account that they get the artists that are currently popular at the time to write columns.

Guitar Player is the way to go. In 10 years, you'll leaf through an old copy and find a lesson that's still relevant and useful. I broke down and finally got a subscription. The first copy will arrive at the beginning of next month, I believe.

I'll still buy Guitar World on a per-copy basis if they have an interesting article or a song I've particularly wanted.

• 2 months later...