Bad recordings of a poor player

VanKirk

Here's some bad recordings I did a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to set up a good recording area for awhile so I haven't done much since. These are sloppy, poorly played & recorded 1 take mixdowns. :D I just decided to hit record while practicing.

Very noisy acoustic. set volume low

I liked the sound of the recording alot better on this one but there's too much scratchy finger pickin noise. I should have clipped my nails or somethin. Levels are real high so careful.

Set volume & bass even lower

This is a cheesy I, IV, V progression with an even cheesier minor pentatonic 'blues scale'. Too much 'chicka chicka' crap goin on and my fingers were stickin to the finger board at the beginning when I tried to slide. I think the solo is too low.

Cheesy blues jam. Turn bass back up

Didn't know when to end that one :D

All these mixdowns are really poor. I'm sloppy and deffinately no shredder B) so forgive this amateur player and recording. :D

I've added a couple more tricks and my vibrato is deeper and slower now but I need to practice MUCH more. Well, after I finish my project guitar B)

Playin tips much appreciated B):D

I think they sound good. Your self described "sloppiness" adds lot's-o'-character to your playing. I personally love finger noises, it reaffirms that a human is playing :D.

That first one, the .wav, is HUGE, it's nearly 22 MBs. You might want to crunch it to mp3 B). You can normalize volume levels of wav pretty easily but if you want to alter the volume levels of mp3's use MP3Gain. Other normalizers would decompress the mp3 to wav but that one doesn't... very nice.

I'm playing around with your ohwell.wav. I'm learning this piece of free software called Audacity. I'm seeing if I can remove that hissing noise... it's doing a decent job so far :D.

That first one, the .wav, is HUGE, it's nearly 22 MBs. You might want to crunch it to mp3

LoL, WooPs! :D

Had these on my comp for awhile and yet I never got around to it. Not sure why now B)

Haven't recorded much since then or did anything to clean these up. I still have the individual tracks and I'd like to rerecord them a little more seriously. It'd be really cool to put a bass line and drums to the blues jam. I have a cool beat I play on my dad's drum set and a bass line on my Fiance's bass. I should record them and make a real song outta it and a couple others I have.

Hard to do now that I don't have the dedicated space to playin'. I have to keep all my stuff in cases and I've become fat and lazy since my woman treats me like a king so I need to start practicing more. :D

I think the break from playin and just listening to other's stuff has helped get me out of a rut since I made these. Nice to have this PG forum to motivate me a little more. Especially since I don't play in a band and don't get feedback.

No band = playing rut.

Thanks for the links nyj. :D

More playing/recording tips, plz :D

very nice...

How do you like this:

oh well.mp3

just a few audio tools on my desktop PC...

Cool! :D

Sounds like a little chorus and reverb?

Gives it a fuller sound and more...dimension?

Very cool. I should record that again a little cleaner this time and try a few effects. I can use the Kurzweil KSP-8 at work. That unit gives the most realistic reverb sounds I've ever heard.

Thanks again B)

WoW, that started out sooo noisy, hehe.

I must have had the mics too far away? I don't remember what I did differently when recording the two acoustic songs. I had a cheapo sound hole pic-up but I don't remember using it to record those with.

ohwell was done with 2 SM57s at 90 degrees from each other. One pointed at the neck and the other at the bridge and I panned about 3/4 left and right on each channel.

I'm hearing too much finger pickin noise again :D

Think I need to change the angle of my pickin or somethin? and clip my damn nails. Sounds like I'm scratchin the strings instead of pluckin them.

Recording let's me hear things that I don't really notice while playin.

to be completely off topic, how long have you been playing? also, im now inspired to pick up my acoustic once again.

Cool! I hope I helped :D

Embarassed to say that I've been playin off and on for about the last 14? years and yet I'm not much better than when I was playin after first 3 years.

Thinking back, I played decently for just 3 years into it because I practiced alot. Now I only practice once or twice every couple of months B)

I'm hoping that my first guitar building project will inspire me to play more. It really makes a difference having an area set up to play. I was probably at my peak when I had all my gear strung throughout the living room where I could just watch TV and practice. I need to quit playin these damn addictive shoot'em up online games and start jammin! :D

Thinking back, I played decently for just 3 years into it because I practiced alot. Now I only practice once or twice every couple of months :D

i am right there with you...up until about a year and a half ago i was only playing every 2 or 3 months....i was never getting better or learning anything.

then it was like,one day i just realized how far i strayed from what my dreams were years ago and i picked it back up and rarely miss a day's practice anymore....the result is that i am making large strides again,but unfortunately i missed out on alot of the prime learning years.

i mistakenly thought that earning alot of money was going to make me happy....all it did was waste the last 10 years.

I hear that! I can totally feel a change in my attitude since I basically quit playing. My patience seems so thin these days. Although, quitting my pothead ways has been stressful on me this last year (worth it, but still tough).

I can still pick up my guitar and feel such a sense of relief when I'm done.

This guitar building looks like a whole new hobby that I'm hooked on now too.

I gotta practice more! :D

Well, I got some practice in tonight but the strings are old and after about an hour... B) *SNAP* I broke the 'g' string :D (huhu I said g-string)

Edited by VanKirk

but unfortunately i missed out on alot of the prime learning years.

yea, i completely missed the 9-12 prime, and im mid way through the last prime of my life, 16-18. it wasnt my choice to miss out, when i was 8 i wanted to play guitar... but due to poor income i wasnt able to get one.. the first thing i bought when i got a job was my electified wood. im learning enough i spose!