PRS bolt-on diagram

I was looking at one of the members' websites the other day, but for the life of me I can't remember who. On the left, there was a link to "ideas", and one of them was a basic diagram for a PRS-style bolt-on. I don't think it was to scale or anything like that, and with a bit of creativity I could probably come up with my own 'version'...

But in the meantime, I'd like to have another peek at it and I'm worn out from trying to search the forum for it. ;-)

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Greg.

Oh, and one other thing--

Does the 'bolt in' designation (as opposed to 'bolt on') refer to the fact that the bolts are 'in' the body rather than on a heel? Ie. it's the same basic principle except for pickup considerations and the fact that the pocket isn't a big ol' hunk of wood sticking 'out' from the cutaways?

I notice that to accomplish this, the other major difference is that there is more wood extended past where the fingerboard ends than on a standard bolt-on (naturally). Anything else I'm missing?

Greg.

lol thanks for checking out my site :D

those are the measurements i use, they may not be the exact ones you see on prs and other's though..

i duno.. on my guitar's the tonuge's actually sticking out is about 1/2" so i call it a bolt in...

For the bolt-in design, MUST the pickup be direct mounted, or is that just how you had done it? With only about an extra 1/16th" of depth in the rout, I 'm wondering if I could get away with doing a traditional mounting ring style mount?

In my favour for the bolt-in design, I will have a slightly thicker body than most designs, with a 1 3/4" body and another 5/8" thick maple top on top of that.

Thanks for the replies.

Ed Roman guy seems like a bit of a nutter. <grin> He's right about the heel, but I'm not so sure about the science behind the direct mount. One thing that occurs to me is that the pickup will be vibrating along with the rest of the guitar and neck (assuming it's nice and resonant!); wouldn't that jiggle the coils around and produce microphonic feedback more easily?

I'm not totally dissing direct mounting in general-- It seems to work well on EVH's guitars, and one of my future projects will be an EVH-MM / Axis-inspired guitar (OK, OK... a ripoff). I'm just not so sure about Mr. Roman's rabid fanaticism and propagandist techniques. Also, none of the pictures seems to show what his 'lip' IS or does... is it just a little bit of an indentation for the screws on the bottom of the humbucker to fit into?

Since for me, it's partially about the 'look' of the guitar and I LIKE mounting rings, I may still end up doing a direct mount in the neck, but with the ring acting more as a 'frame' than a functional design element.

[EDIT: on closer inspection, and giving my head a shake, I realize that I don't have an appropriately-dimensioned piece of wood for a bolt-in right now. Since I'm not a HUGE guy for upper-fret access anyhow, I'm going to stick with regular bolt-on style; but this information will definitely come in handy for another project that I'm cogitating over, so the info and links are much appreciated!]

Cheers,

Greg