Stainless steel fret wire

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Tube Doctor

Thats a bit of a monsterous first post, welcome to the forum.

Got to say that I'm in agreement, I've looked at most of Ed's rants and although he obviously has more knowledge than little old me, his rants are just the opinion of one person (in most cases) and who's to tell if he's talking out of his arse.

I've got nothing against the bloke, infact I've found alot of his site very useful and from what I hear he's alright, but I prefer taking advice from more than one source which is why I'm here.

Sounds like you obviously know your stuff anyway, so welcome to the B)

here is the reply I got from Dunlop

Dear Rick,

Thank you for your e-mail and your inquiry regarding stainless steel

fretwire. We are very sorry to inform you that we do not have plans at this

time to manufacture stainless steel wire, and apologize for any

inconvenience that this may cause. This is something that we may look into

doing in the future, as we do have several requests. We will forward your

message to our Research and Development department.

so it dose not look very good unless the rest of you start bugging them about this as well

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
which seems to contradict ER's belief that Korina is the ultimate tone wood.

I noticed that in his rant about how korina is the only worthwhile wood, he says that korina is the same as african mahogany. I don't believe this is true. Korina is African, and is in the mahogany family, but it is not the same wood.

Ed roman is successful for the same reason that Jerry Springer and Howard Stern are. People love controversy.

African mahogany and korina are indeed not the same wood. The botanical names arent even the same. Korina/limba is "terminalia superba", african mahogany is "Khaya nyasica " Korina is not even a true mahogany. Ed roman is incorrect in his staements there, but not in its quality.

Also Afara has the same botanical name as korina, but gilmer wood sells it as a low cost limba alternative. ***?

so... for the 200$, can we order a couple different types of the wire like mix and match variety pack? or do we only get 10 lengths (5 guitars worth) in the same wire??

also what's shipping prices going to look like if they're coming from hong chong??? you going to order a small stock nyjbkim then ship to us?

so... for the 200$, can we order a couple different types of the wire like mix and match variety pack? or do we only get 10 lengths (5 guitars worth) in the same wire??

also what's shipping prices going to look like if they're coming from hong chong??? you going to order a small stock nyjbkim then ship to us?

Sorry krazyderek, I'm in no way involved in this commercially... I'm just passing info along to this forum because I've gotten so much for myself here. I'm not getting anything out of this. You should shoot Kevin some e-mail for definitive info. The introduction post that I made earlier was a condensation of the all the e-mails we've been shooting back and forth.

Hmm... I re-read the e-mails he send me... I forgot to mention that there is a 7-10 day lead time to order PLUS the week or so to ship from HK. Here are some lines from the e-mail:

I've already figured out a good way of packing the fretwire. The only import troubles will be at your end, as HK has really liberal trade laws. On the bright side, packages from HK to the USA are not scrutinized as strictly as packages from, say, Thailand or places with a known drug trafficking history.

Air mail from HK to the USA usually takes about a week, and the rates are reasonable.

I'm probably going order one set for myself to start.

I've already posted some of this in the SS refretting tips thread, but I'll put it here so it's not missed. I've registered with PayPal. The account name is The Tube Doctor. Mix and match orders are welcome. You need not order 5 of the same size to get the discount. Please look in the "Tips " thread for detailed information regarding the available sizes.