Help the beginner plz!

absana

Hi guys,

my names aaron and I'm 13 years old. I've been playing the guitar fora few months now, I can read music tabs n stuff, play my favourite red hot chili pepper songs, what else should I learn?

It'd be great if you could all point me in the right direction, I'm kidna stuck, I just see myself playing the same few songs over and ovr, I dont exactly know what I should be doing to get better.

Than kyou!

oh by the way, whats sustain mean?

Welcome absana! :D

You've come to the right forum B) but this particular part of the forum is where questions and answers on guitar 'building' is usually kept. A more appropriate place would be in the section titled 'Players Corner' for future reference.

(helps keep the forum organized. I've made the same mistake myself :D )

It sounds like you've hit your first 'rut' as guitar players call it and it won't be your last. It's perfectly normal. Be sure to stick with it and work through it cause that's how you learn. Overcome those hurdles and you'll feel a great sense of accomplishment. B)

Wow, that sure sounded like a surmon :D

I'll post some ideas I've used to get out of a rut tomorrow and by that time others will have posted better information than I can give B)B)

My idea of sustain in guitar playing refers to a note that continues to ring out after the string has been plucked. The longer a note will continue to ring out, the longer the sustain.

A guitars body material, body shape, pickups, string gauge, bridge and nut materials are some of the things that can effect sustain. Amplifier and effects settings and even the pick material as well. There are quite a few things that affect it but I think that's the basics. Sound right, people? :D

i moved this topic to the correct place

my advice is...pick another band you like and learn their songs in the same way you learned the first ones...learning new songs is definately a good way to get out of a rut.maybe start on a new style of music as well.

instead of rock hit the blues for a while...it's all a goodway to become diverse and develop your own style

Wes man speak da truth :D

Absana, a good way to develop your "own style" is to perhaps concentrate less attempting to "sound" like someone else and spend time learning techniques rather than tracks.

Also getting a couple of lessons from a professional tutor can always help point you in a different or better aimed direction.

I

When I'm in a rut I learn new scales or chords. Mostly chords.

Lesons are my other fallback, ive been playing 13 years and will still get lessons when stuck in a serious rut.

Find other people to play with, nothing will help you grow like playing with the right people.

Find more people to play with, and leanr basic theory. Especially chird construction. That can take you really far. Also, do you mean "what is sustain?", or "what makes a chord sustained?". VanKirk's defintition of sustain was right on, but a sustained chord is a I-IV-V chord. There are also sus2 chords which is I-II-V. Basically, this means you find the third (many times a string down and a fret behind the root note), and move it up one fret (which makes it on the same fret, one string down from the root). An exaple would be a C chord. An open position C is x32010, and a C Sustained (suspended) is x33010.

syxxstring brings up a great point...playing with other guitarists of equal caliber or better is a great way to learn

just don't play too much with people who aren't very good...they will drag you down...i'll teach anybody but i won't play "with" another guy unless they can keep a tight rythm

Hi Absana,

You asked what you should learn? Here are my thoughts on the subject. And yes, I am opinionated old man.

Aside from learning songs from groups that you like, I would look for technique type things to learn. Scales, notes, chords, arpeggios, and the greek modes. Some day you will find that 90+% of everything you play is either a chord, scale, or arpeggio. It is just a question of how you emphasise certain notes within those three areas that changes what they sound like. After all, you can play the same song as blues, country, jazz, rock, or speed metal. Another element of technique is theory. The greek modes. Keys, sympathetic chords, all kinds of weird stuff. And most important: :DB):D

Good luck,

Guitar Ed

Opinions are like @@sholes. And I just showed you mine.

Find more people to play with, and leanr basic theory. Especially chird construction. That can take you really far. Also, do you mean "what is sustain?", or "what makes a chord sustained?". VanKirk's defintition of sustain was right on, but a sustained chord is a I-IV-V chord. There are also sus2 chords which is I-II-V. Basically, this means you find the third (many times a string down and a fret behind the root note), and move it up one fret (which makes it on the same fret, one string down from the root). An exaple would be a C chord. An open position C is x32010, and a C Sustained (suspended) is x33010.

Huh :D I've never seen "sus2/sus4" chords refered to as a sustained chord but rather "suspended" as you refered to it near the end. Is it a regional variation in terminology? B)

Hmm... Your descriptions "but a sustained chord is a I-IV-V chord" and "There are also sus2 chords which is I-II-V" are confusing. Depending on the application, if for example, the sus2 is of the V chord then the 2nd that's suspended is the 3rd of the IV chord (and for a sus4 of the V chord, the suspended 4th is the root of the I chord.) You're suspending the third with a note from a previous chord.

Oh, and it should be I-ii-V (ii being the relative minor of the IV) if you're being diatonic :D.