Some advice on pickup selection

Jivin

Hi,

Im getting a new superstrat style guitar and after ive gotten used to the thing (its my first superstrat style guitar with a locking trem and those oddly positioned knobs (i usually play LP style guitars :D)), I'll probably be replacing the mightymite pickups.

I got the thing at a good price, and im happy im going this way, cause like i said its my first guitar in this style, and for the money its a quality instrument i think. the stock pickups arent without their merits though - quite versatile and nice sounding for the money, and both the humbuckers are coil tapped.

IMG_0059.JPG

Basically, I would love to put in an EMG 81/85 set in the bridge/neck positions respectively, but its from there i have a few questions.

1. What should i put in the middle position? Is ther any hard and fast rules that i cant mix active and passive electronics? Ive heard the EMG 'S' single coils are nice, but I would like something that will give me a bit more of a mellow clean sound, as i know the EMG humbuckers im looking at are ultra high output ass kicking pickups, and i am conscious to still being able to pull of a nice clean sound.

2. What do i get when i buy EMG pickups? I understand i get their quick connect kit, and that includes pots and wires - but would it be feasable to buy the ZW set for the 81/85 then buy the single coil seperately? Or should i get all 3 'seperately' and wind up with extra pots and stuff? B)

Any advice from peeople with experience here would be appreciated.

Also actually, can someone tell me how much say an... EMG 81 costs in your area? Here in australia im having a tough time finding one for less than 250AUD (~$180US).

Thank a lot,

- Dan

EDIT - One other big thing: the body of hte guitar is basswood... is that not ideal for EMG pickups like these? That would be an awful shame, but I woudl really like to know :D heh

Get the SAV for the middle.

I have 2 on my Lukather setup, those things will do Ronnie Earl sweet-strat jazz tones drop-dead.

If you call EMG, they will actually make any combination/setup/harness you can imagine for you.

Yes, EMG pkps and regular pkps mixed is a no-go situation.

You'll like the SAV I think.

Thanks for your help guys, i might see if i can get an Austrlalian number for EMG off their site and give them a ring.

Any comment on the basswood with EMG's issue?

that trem doesnt look like its a full locking one. It must have a locking nut though?

that trem doesnt look like its a full locking one. It must have a locking nut though?

Yes it has a locking nut, but its only a Single Locking FR style trem. I dont really understand that because I have never owned a gutiar with one before :D

An explanation wouldnt go astray, although im sure ill find out eventually, and it doesnt really bother me. I bought it over ebay and it arrives end of the week.

- Dan

ps: thanks for the comment skibum B)

edit - ive also decided if i upgrade the pickups i will buy them from that guitarpartsdepot and have my aunt bring them back over here with her when she comes back with my Boss GT6 :D The price difference is just too big to ignore.

the most versatile option i can think of is this

bridge- emg 81

mid - emg sa

neck emg 89

options on a 5 way switch

1 bridge

2 bridge and mid

3 mid

4mid and sa in the 89

5 85 in the 89

1 and 5 would be hot metal settings and 3 and 4 would offer nice cleans, selection 2 would be in between

^ I was under the impression that the XL-500 isn't the same as the Dimebucker. Or rather, I have been told so. Also, you can mix passive and active, but you will probably need a preamp on the passive pickup(s) to balance the output.

The Dimebucker is based off of the XL-500 Becuase seymour duncan wanted to make money off of dime and dime didnt mind the royaltie checks  :D  He still uses the XL-500 alot and was when i saw damagplan.

Well, it's not quite that simple - after Bill's overlong court battles to retain the use of his own name, he's really downsized his operation, and there's no way he'd want to try to supply pickups for a Dime signature production guitar. I'm sure Dime doesn't mind the royalty checks, but it's not all about the money. The Dimebucker is a great pickup, but the XL500 is the only pickup I've bought at least one set of in every decade since they came out. Of course, if you want a set now, you'll have to call Becky (Lawrence) with your order and wait for them to build a set for you. I do suspect that in private Dime prefers the Lawrences, but that's only a feeling. You really can't go wrong using either.

Thanks for the replies :D

If i replace the pickups on this thing, I think I will be going with a 81/SA/89 set. Thanks for the Passive pickup suggestions too, ill keep them in mind for any future projects B)

- Dan