Standup / Upright Bass

bluespresence

I finally cracked!!! I started taking lessons again about a month ago to tighten my chops (and ears) and learn the board up and down with the goal of buying and playing standup...........well I bought a standup today!!! Nothing fancy, just a Chinese made laminated puppy but I couldn't beat the price anywhere. I was expecting to pay upwards of $2-3000 for one and was even considering an EUB. I priced the EUB's and they are as much as a traditional! Anyhoo, I researched the Chinese made basses and narrowed it down to Milano and Merano brands and ended up with the Milano. I should have her in a week or two! I can't freakin' wait!!

I need an emoticon for a stand up guy here..............

:D

asm Posted on May 8 2004, 10:20 PM

to bad they are about as half as cool as a cello.

COUGH COUGH 

Actually a cello player got me SERIOUSLY interested in the upright. I've always wanted to play upright bass and after seeing him in concert playing the cello with his fingers and singing a melody to it I was hooked! I then read about Percy Heath and his cello tuned to bass - one octave up - and I was hooked even more........Someday I'll do that to a cello when I can find one to mutate!

my friend actually started on the upright before i convinced him to start learning the bass guitar. he's a damn good musician since he'd already learn allthe theory that went with playing a bass instrument