router usage

it's a good idea to ruff cut out the body, either on a bandsaw or jigsaw, leave about 1/8" (more if it's a cheap jigsaw) then you can either sand to the line, or use a router template. I would advise using the router mounted in a table when routing a body shape, as it can get kind of tricky to balance a router only half supported on a template.

I second the above advice-- for my project I've bandsawn to shape, and have used a router and template afterwards.

As Derek mentioned, I'm using a plunge router, and I DID in fact go a bit off-axis at one point in time and it resulted in a ding. I was very meticulous (guess I could have been more so!) and I still went off-axis at one point in time. I will continue using the plunge router, though, since a table is out of my budget.

Greg

I also agree with the advice to rough cut then route. Works like a charm.

I made my first router table by mouting my router underneath my workbench. Just drill a 1" hole (or more if you use a larger bit) into the top of the bench where the bit will go through. Then mount the router base underneath using the screws that hold the plastic disc onto the base. You will have to countersink the screws from the top. It works pretty well and you don't need to buy a specific router table. My router table is done in the exact same way. The only difference is that I can move the table out of the way instead of unscrewing the router.

it's a good idea to ruff cut out the body, either on a bandsaw or jigsaw, leave about 1/8" (more if it's a cheap jigsaw) then you can either sand to the line, or use a router template. I would advise using the router mounted in a table when routing a body shape, as it can get kind of tricky to balance a router only half supported on a template.

or you can use the extra cut off from the body and an extra peice of wood (the thickness of ur template) and make a channel around where you're routing..so u don't have to worry about balancing...because it'll be supported on one half by the guitar and template...and the other side with the cut off and extra wood.

It may take a bit longer because you might have to stop and restart in order to move the support and adjust it so its all ok and even.

Thats what I did on my second body and it came out a lot nicer than my first.