cAN I buy a neck thru body neck and cut down

If I were to buy the Carvin 7 string neck (thru body)....would it be possible to cut down the maple extension so that I may use it as a set neck, rather than the neck thru?

It has the same dimensions and materials i had planned on using on/with my custim neck, and it would be much easier to do if this was possible....

thanks

If I were to buy the Carvin 7 string neck (thru body)....would it be possible to cut down the maple extension so that I may use it as a set neck, rather than the neck thru?

It has the same dimensions and materials i had planned on using on/with my custim neck, and it would be much easier to do if this was possible....

thanks

yes you can do that......personally i would do a neck thru...but that is just me :D

That seems like way too much work to me. Why buy a new guitar just to rip it to pieces? I think you're gonna run into a LOT of trouble cutting the neck down, and routing a neck pocket. For the amount of work it will take you're much better off to just build from scratch, or buy a body from someone else.

he's just talking about the neck :D

i'm with MZI, just make a neck thru, less nightmares that way, i think someone else also asked this very same question about a month or 2 ago, and i think we said the same thing. It is possible, but you're paying for a finished neck just to hack it up and hope you can get it cut properly to fit into a neck joint, not to mention getting the bottom of the heel parrallel with the top of the fingerboard B)

You can buy the Carvin neck through neck and cut it off for a set neck. This really wouldn't be that difficult to do. I use this neck joint on some of my guitars. To convert this neck you would just cut the neck to length, route the neck pocket, and glue it in. I have a jig that I made out of plywood that I use to route the neck cavity. It is easy to build it and is useful for routing pickups too. Here is a web page for it: neck/pickup routing jig

As far as neck through VS set neck it basically comes down to personal preference. Doing the woodwork can be difficult either way you go but if you draw everything out on paper before you cut anything you should be OK. You will also be able to work out some of the construction ideas beforehand and that will help you work out the processes in the shop.

~David

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

And if you wanted a Gibsony style mortise & tenon thing, just route off 1/2" on either side of the heel. I did that with a different neck and it worked awesomely.