Peavey Transtube series

JohnnyG

Basically im doing some research for a friend. he's looking into buying a new amp and would uite like to buy a valve amp since fairlly obviouslly they are a fair bit nicer.

he played one of the Peavey transtube series at his local guitar shop and lked the sound of it and so decided to do some research on it.

basic question is, what the hell does it do. from what ive read on the Website it sounds as tho its a digital modelling amp but neither me nor him are too sure. so i figured the best thing to do would be to ask the advice of people who know a bit more about this than me

also if anybody could be helpful and maybe recommend some other amps that may be good for what he wants thatd be cool. he's really looking for something with a fair bit of versatility inthat it can go from nice clean sound for open chord jangliness up to good solid rock distortion, valve is prefered lol

cheers guys

I've just sold one. It's a tranny amp with a sort of amp emulation in it - not digital.

My *opinion* is that it sounds crap, but your mileage may vary.

I prefer the Fender Princeton 65DSP for a good sounding cheap tranny combo that you don't need to work out to be able to carry to the car...

I believe the Transtube line is Peavey's answer to Marshall's Valvestate? Low wattage amps are pure solid state while the rest have a tube in the preamp section?

In any case, I've owned two Valvestates (8010 and VS65R) and am quite happy with the sounds of both. I'd assume that I'd be just as happy as, let's say a Peavey Bandit or Studio.

And yeah, I like the sound of a Princeton combo, too.

I believe the Transtube line is Peavey's answer to Marshall's Valvestate? Low wattage amps are pure solid state while the rest have a tube in the preamp section?

Nope all solid state all the time with tube emulation technology. I think the higher end models actually have a switch that let's you control how "tube-y" you sound.

mental note you can build a nice 4-8watt tube amp for around 200 bucks or so not counting the speaker and the box to but it in but if you have a nice speaker and an old marshall lead twelve cabinet or crate cab or somethign like that its a good investment.. check out the section in electronics about home built amps..

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=7779

hmm is that the circuit they are using in there transtube i was wondering as i saw that same scheme like 8 years or better ago and was wondering about it.. i built it some time ago and its not too shabby.. not tubes either

hmm is that the circuit they are using in there transtube i was wondering as i saw that same scheme like 8 years or better ago and was wondering about it.. i built it some time ago and its not too shabby.. not tubes either

For those of us with no particular love for tubes they're a good alternative.

GEdward, since you're not afraid of silicon, you might be interested in the runoffgroove.com amp "simulators". They've gone a little crazy lately, "cloning" calssic amp architectures using JFETS, and I think they sound pretty good. They've got a Vox/Matchless, a Marshall 18 watt, a Fender Tweed and a Super Lead 100, all with sound clips. They're not perfect, but their Marshall stuff sounds as good or better than a lot of real Marshalls I've heard. Check it out when you get a chance. I can't get some of my silicophobic tubehead friends to even listen to the clips.