RG Project

I finally got my body blank today! it's been slighty delayed due to my supplier sending me a Tele body :D

As you can see I've scetched a rough outline on, hopefully I'll get time to cut it out later this week, and no I haven't cut myself the red streak is natural :D I think it looks nice for quite a cheap wood, can't wait to get started! B)

bodyblankRG1.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B) Incase anyone was interested it was £23.90 including postage

I've got another blank on the way, Alder with a Maple cap :D so this will be the prototype to give me some more pratice before letting loose on the more expensive wood.

What is the weight like, both the guitars i've made have been from very dense uber heavy wood so i'm after something a bit lighter for "project lizard" wassit like, and of course where did you get it?

Looking good by the way!

I brought it from a guy on Ebay, he builds Tele's...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

Altough after getting the Tonewood catalogue from www.craft-supplies.co.uk , I'll proberbly use them from now on :D

Wouldn't it be easier to route all pickup and control cavities + neck pocket before cutting the body out? I mean, fixing the templates and stuff. That's the way I do it - so it MUST be right  ?

Yes you're proberbly right however I'm not using templates for routing so it doesn't really matter

What is the weight like, both the guitars i've made have been from very dense uber heavy wood so i'm after something a bit lighter for "project lizard" wassit like, and of course where did you get it?

It's not back breaking heavy but it's deffinetly not light either B)

Craft supplies are really good, I'm only going to get wood from them in the future, they package stuff really well...

I do my routing while its still on the block, assuming everything is flat it does make it easier for the neck pocket and things like that as there is no chance of slipping and taking chunks out of the body side.

I'll be interested to see how your guitar works out, good luck with it!

No matter what, there will ALWAYS be a first time you've tried something. Why not now? :D Have fun getting a hold of some red binding, though. I believe a forum member found coloured binding recently somewhere; however, you may have better luck by makeshifting something out of something else that's not normally meant as binding.

Greg

No more progress on the guitar as I need to buy myself a drill press and drum sanders to sand inside the curves etc, but I received the other body blank this morning B)

The Pirahna body will be a prototype this will be the wood I use on the final guitar, unless I make a really good job on the Pine body and decide to make something different with this one :D

Maple top...

blank_top.JPG

Alder back...

blank_back.JPG

If you are going to keep it natural a little Danish oil would be agood idea to bring the flame out a little more, it'll darken things a little but not in a bad way.

Those Danes know a thing or two about oil! I think it can be laquered after the oiling, but I could be wrong, so by all means somebody set me straight on that.

did you get your maple from touchstone tonewoods by any chance? Looks just like the stuff I got, I was a little dissapointed with mine, but it finished well.