multi tracking

ultraman

hi guys

ive been writing alot of songs recently and i finally decided to buy a digital multitrack recorder. im thinking 8 tracks: 2 guitar,drum,bass keys,etc.

i want something without effects if possible(if it lowers the price)because i have enough effects in my pedalboard...since i have no clue to whe it comes to recording, im asking you guys to tell me what i more or less need.

im planning to spend 500$ to 1000$ canadian.

tips, tricks suggestions?

thanks! :D

I hear yea on the dragging your crap to the computer, but, if your looking to spend a bit more then your budget, go for a laptop (if you dont already have one) and get a program like Cubase or Cubasis (simple version of Cubase) I got Kristal audio engine, its pretty good, I also have Fruity Loops, hard to figure out, but MILLIONS of possiblities, both are free and i use them regularly with pre recorded stuff, addin stuff, takin out stuff, the works

Thats my suggestion, take it from there :D

Curtis

Well, if you go for the lap top idea, I would do this:

some have a built in mic, dont use it, they suck, in my opinion, I would buy a 20 dollar mic from a music store, then, this will test your timing, get a program like Kristal (for example) and it has up to 5 recording station, things, anyways, play your guitar on one, then your bass on a different one, drums on second one, all you have to do is make sure you can get a plug by the drums and guitars and your set, then you can change it around with the built in (crap-taculor) effects, or buy a program for maybe 150?, so lets add it up

Laptop- 500 and up??

Kristal, Audiocity - FREEBIE

Effects program - between 50 and 200

Mic - 20 for easy figurin

Total = (500 for laptop) (125 for program)

$635 plus tax = $ 730 (thats in my head, so might be wrong :D )

Good luck!

Curtis

You can do it with the built-in microphone jack and a handy little set of drivers called ASIO4ALL. But to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it.

A better solution would be to use a dedicated card that plugs in via USB, USB 2.0, or Firewire. USB 1.1 is considered pretty slow for simultaneously recording and playing back many tracks, but if you're only going to record 1 or 2 instruments at a time, you can make do.

A few hardware solutions:

Mackie Spike, which included Tracktion, my preferred 'budget' sequencer

M-Audio solutions like the budget Audiophile or the next-step and highly-regarded 410

Terratec USB solutions

My personal favourite as the bang for the buck for both software and hardware features:

Tascam US-122

or even something as simple as

Echo Indigo, which is a consumer card, but has ASIO drivers for pro recording software and fits into your expansion slot.