Replacing neck

How feasible would it be to replace a neck of a bolt on strat copy guitar?

is it just a matter of taking the old one off and putting the new one on?

or is there stuff to do with the trussrod etc??

thanks.

the physical effort required isn't very extensive, just unscrew the 4 screws and swap necks.

The thing you have to worry about is the intonation. If you don't get the exact same neck, or an exact clone then the intonation will have to be adjusted, and if you get the wrong neck you might have to move the bridge to get the right intonation setup. What you're looking for is the distance from the nut (fingerboard side, not headstock side) to the the end of the heel (the actual maple heel, not the end of the fingerboard)

Also you have to comepare heel shapes, for example a tele neck won't fit a standard strat body.

what happens if you buy a neck and then realise its too small or too big?

If the strat copy stays true to the neck pocket demensions and scale of a typical Strat, it shouldn't be a problem. There's a basic neck legend at Warmoth to give you the specs to find out if your existing neck is the same.

Good luck.

Brian

there is a tutorial on the main site for removing your fingerboard, i did that to my strat and replaced it with a fingerboard i made from scratch and i had no problems

no. If you took it to a luthier he would probably charge you alot of money. I don't know how much, but i know if your trussrod on a set neck breaks and they have to take the fingerboard off to get to it it costs a couple hundred. so less than a couple hundred. This is just me talking maybe it's cheaper or theres an easier way... good luck

thought you put the fingerboard on the jointer 2 or 3 times then it almost would rip apart in your hand (not on the jointer, pulling it by hand)

maybe i am mistaken, but thats how i figured it was

Curtis