so, is this how it works.

frankie

Okay say i got the 24.75" scale on my guitar. That's from the nut to the bridge, correct?? So does that mean anything behind the nut is kinda irrelevant. Like how much distance you have inbetween the nut and tuning pegs?? But i figure this can't be true, because then why would they have angled headstocks (besides easier access to bending the strings behind the nut) can somebody help me out, and does any of this change when building a 12 string?? thanks..

The reason for angled headstocks is so that there is a correct angle between the string and the nut. That's why straight headstocks have runners to pull the string down at an angle. The distance between the nut and the tuners isn't critical but it does play a part.

feylya is right - it is to keep the strings on the nut, the angle is to make a downward pressure, keepin the strings in the grooves.

as far as with distance with tuuners, its not critical, but the further away the tuners are from the nut, the "looser" the string will feel (if no locking nut) and the easier it will be to bend etc...

hopt this helps clarify

Mike

Technically if your scale length is 24.75" then your brigde will be located so your high E string can be adjusted 1/16" longer than scale length and low e can be adjusted about 7/32" longer than scale length. This means the bridge will be a little further back than scale length. Also, the length of a string(from tuning peg to the strings ball end) will determine how tight it is. The longer the string the tighter it is and vice versa. The string behind the nut is obviously not part of scale length but it will definatly affect the how tight the strings are. That's why fenders feel tighter than gibsons. A fender scale lenght is about an 1" longer than gibson and the high e on a fender is a lot longer than a high e string on a gibson.

• 2 weeks later...
I think its also tilt back because it absorbes a blow better. So if you crash the head into a wall while violently tossing your self around the stage in a rageing skank, it wont break the neck as easily.

but i could be wrong

a tilt back headstock is not stronger than a straight one

I think its also tilt back because it absorbes a blow better. So if you crash the head into a wall while violently tossing your self around the stage in a rageing skank, it wont break the neck as easily.

but i could be wrong

a tilt back headstock is not stronger than a straight one

I learn somthing new on this site everyday! :D