Jehle's Vee Project

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another nice one (just for inspiration ,don't wanna hijack)

here

again a dean V they have such great flametops , but i don't like the 2 pointed heastock.

I know what you mean about the headstock on the Dean. On the one hand, by the look of it, you know it's a Dean. But, I don't like it on a V. V's need that pointy spear like headstock to look right. Maybe I'm just an old timer. :D

i agree, its a flying V not a flying X... plus the pointy tips make it look more jet like, so when you throw your guitar into the crowd after a big show you might actually get some air time before it goes through the persons chest and placing you in jail! *too much imagination*

What I meant was a regular burst with the gibson style voodoo finish....
how is that supposed to look?? red edges to black with red grain

and I think its kinda impossible because you need an (ash) body with a deep grain to fill and jehle has put a veneer on it better suited for normal bursts.

Oh and for all the flying V lovers here's a site deticated to them.

http://www.flying-v.ch/

an here's a beutifull custom with black/cherry/Tburst

http://www.flying-v.ch/customs/fc_02lp/fc02lp.html#Tobacco

actually dave has had a couple thru the yrs one was the double neck that was actually a quilt top, the kinda yellowish old king v style one, and he also had a similar burst to the ESP in a king v thats cool as hell, i have pics on my comp if u wanna see,

as for flame top V's mine will have one hopefully in like 2 weeks or so, ill post pics

MzI

Did some fretwork last night. I'm more or less following the process in Robert Benedetto's book for the neck construction. The fretboard will be finished, the side dots glued in (NO DOT INLAY!) before I do the neck profile.

The neck pocket is done so now I can route for the pickups, controls and drill for the bridge. It wont be long now.

V072204.jpg

another nice one (just for inspiration ,don't wanna hijack)

here

again a dean V they have such great flametops , but i don't like the 2 pointed heastock.

I know what you mean about the headstock on the Dean. On the one hand, by the look of it, you know it's a Dean. But, I don't like it on a V. V's need that pointy spear like headstock to look right. Maybe I'm just an old timer. B)

it's almost the flying v is flying in 2 directions, and the headstock and the v are gonna crash, :D well, i guess its not that funny, lol

:D  that looks really nice!!

I like the top very much,

have you got any plans on doing the neck inlays (blocks, trapezoid, dots ,nothing?)

maybe you could match the headstock with a burst because your headstock has a nice peace of wood on it!

Thanx!

I figure that I'll finish the headstock to match the body. Seems like 99% of the V's that I've seen all have a black headstock. No clue why that is, just an observation.

I don't like sunburst headstocks though. There's not that much room up there. And, a sunburst looks too cramped IMHO. I had thought about a coordinating transperent finish. For example, if I did a cherry burst on the body, do the cherry red on the headstock without the fade. I have not seen one like that before, but it makes sense to me.

I've still got some time before I start the finish so there's time to mull it over a bit more.

The neck will be just as you see it. Naked! I've always wanted a neck to be like that. Dots get in the way and seem to limit what key I want to play in. Silly, I know, but when I see the dots I feel like I should play near them.

I had thought about a coordinating transperent finish. For example, if I did a cherry burst on the body, do the cherry red on the headstock without the fade. I have not seen one like that before, but it makes sense to me.

Great Job so far Jehle, I would have done it just like this... Makes complete sense...

• 2 weeks later...

The neck is done! Frets installed, filed, neck profiled, nut glued. My hands are sore from all the work, but it's really smooth and consistent all the way down the neck. Since this is my first ever neck build, I'm really happy with the outcome. I hope it feels as good when the guitar is all together.

Tools used for the profile are a band saw, a belt sander, hand sanding with 60, 100, and 150 grit, and my Swiss Army Spoke Shave. :D

pg4086.jpg

pg4087.jpg

that is a beautiful lookin guitar already, no matter how you finish it it will look great, kind of an off topic question, but since im at it :D in your headstock logo tutorial you made "jellycaster" cuz it was the most common incorrect pronunciation of ur name, what is the correct way to say it, just wondering B)

Looks a great and with the Thrus Rod cover you can[t] see the imperfection that you pointed out, I like the way the veneer looks

That was my plan. Moo Hoo Ha ha ha! When the clear coat goes on the veneer, it is gorgeous. I'm really close to the finishing stage now. :D

in your headstock logo tutorial you made "jellycaster" cuz it was the most common incorrect pronunciation of ur name, what is the correct way to say it, just wondering

If I had a nickel for every time... :D It's German, so it's actually pronounced YAY-LAH. But, I've always said it as YAY-LEE. The "J" makes people freak out and they, 9 times out of 10, say JELLY.

On a completely random side note, are you the Jehle that was quoted in the recent StewMac catalogue?

Yep, that's me alright. There's about 3 or 4 different Bill Jehle's on the internet, surprisingly enough. If that surprises you, think of how I felt! B) Any Bill Jehle related to guitars is gonna be me.

Woah if my first neck turns out like that I'll be very happy, top work

Yeah, thanks for that. I'm glad that it shows. There was a point where building the guitar stopped being just woodwork. Have you ever seen those guys that sculpt eagles and stuff with a chain saw? Well, I started to feel a bit like that with the belt sander at one point. It can be such a brutal tool, but I was just barely shaping the neck with it early on. Ever since then, everything has been done with that same gradual sculpting mindset instead of "must cut wood with saw" troglodite mindset. It's a different attitude with the tools and it makes me take my time.

What finish? I would say blueburst like GF's strat , but it won't go with your gopld hardware, so how about a green ( going from very light in the middle to dark around the edges , that will make that veneer stand out! Any way it looks great man. You mention that you are on the fnishing stages, got more pics?

That's shaping up very nicely. For colour, I'd love to see that in transparent green, with no burst involved. I think with the flashiness of the gold hardware and the somewhat radical V shape, a burst finish would just be "too much". Green is one of the few colours that I really like with gold hardware.