Jehle's Vee Project

Just thought I would post a sneak peak at the new V. I'm nearly done with the body but I don't have any pictures of that yet. Here's the drawing showing the basic layout.

Pardon the reflection, the mounting rings and all the hardware is chrome. The flash made everything look like brass.

pg4-drawing.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that an old Mahogany tabletop or something?

I have no idea... clicks to look for self...

That's actually a Lane coffee table (didn't know that at the time and didn't care since I paid 20 bucks for it). I don't know what sort of wood it is. It's dark. :D

Please tell me more about the tailpiece, it's a little hard to see, but I love what I see.

Did you build it, buy it?

If you built it, how did you go about it, a close-up please!

I got the metal "V" tailpiece in an eBay auction. I started searching for Flying V parts and saw that. It's a new piece, and prolly a reproduction. It is good quality chrome over brass, I suspect.

Getting goods on eBay is a mixed blessing. You can find really great stuff, but most of the time it's just one piece here and there. There are very few guitar shops that I use on eBay regularly (I forget the name of the shop at the moment... it's bookmarked on another computer).

After watching what the guys on American Chopper do, it has to be possible to build, grind, and chrome your own hardware. Now that's a project I would love to do. A total custom build!

It looks plenty fine to me, maybe its because the the vee's body looks biger than most, making the join look smaller?

The neck pocket is the standard fender size at about 3" long <----->. I think it is just an optical illusion that the neck pocket looks too small.

It does look a little weird because there is very little wood on the top and bottom of the pocket. I don't suspect that it will cause a problem with neck shift.

I'm glad to have so many responses to this thread. I hadn't expected much since this is just the sketch. I'll have some pics of the carved out body up this weekend. It still needs some scraping and sanding. I'm taking my time with this one.

OK, I think I see it now....

You have a fairly strong line marked on the neck portion of your drawing, which I assume indicates how far out the pocket is actually going.

First I was just looking at it, thinking that were the V connects to the neck, it just goes straight across to the other side. This leaves very little wood....

But I have seen the light!

I can be pretty dense sometimes.........

:D

looks sweet enough to me!

Gradually assembling bits to start on my v, am watching this avidly Bill!!

I love the grain!!

so both ways you'l have a nice looking guitar,

I suggest you look here for inspiration:

http://www.music-machine.net/frontend/cate...x?CategoryID=57

very special v's that would cost a fortune if you would have to buy them.

so why not make them :D

WOW! Thanks for the link!

That's awsome to see all the different finishes like that. I had thought about transparent purple, red, or black, but now that I see it, the 3-tone sunburst is lovely.

looks sweet enough to me!

Gradually assembling bits to start on my v, am watching this avidly Bill!!

That's right! You were getting ready to build a V too. Keep in mind that this is going to be a bolt on and not a set neck. I got started on the neck late last night. At first glance, I don't think it's going to be that hard. I hope I'm right. B)

yeah - I keep having doubs about deciding on a neck-through as a first build though! Luckily, I have enough neck mahogany to do either. I think perhaps the neck though may be actually easier than getting involved with tenons..

Sorry - don't mean to thread-jack!

yeah - I keep having doubs about deciding on a neck-through as a first build though! Luckily, I have enough neck mahogany to do either. I think perhaps the neck though may be actually easier than getting involved with tenons..

Sorry - don't mean to thread-jack!

at this point i have done a thru neck v and a set neck v(except for the finish)

i think the neck thru is easier by far...getting that damn neck pocket perfectly routed and aligned was horrible for my dumb ass

with a neck thru it is all straight lines

when routing the neck pickup on a neck thru though....use a plank of wood to hold your router above the level of the neck...

i think the neck thru is easier by far...getting that damn neck pocket perfectly routed and aligned was horrible for my dumb ass <snip>

when routing the neck pickup on a neck thru though....use a plank of wood to hold your router above the level of the neck...

bet my ass is dumber than yours!

Thanks - I'll remember that when and if I get that far! I'm not altogether optomistic as this is by far the biggest piece of woodwork I have ever contemplated!

My main rule is take my time and think it through.

I love the grain!!

so both ways you'l have a nice looking guitar,

I suggest you look here for inspiration:

http://www.music-machine.net/frontend/cate...x?CategoryID=57

very special v's that would cost a fortune if you would have to buy them.

so why not make them :D

Funny. I bought my first electric guitar from Music Machine in Kennewick back in...'89? :D

Got my first guitar lessons there to. B):D

• 2 weeks later...