Whole fret inlays

How would i go about making a inlay from fret to fret? Or what can I put on a fret to make paint, sharpie or other kinds of "liquid colorings" to not rub off.

What I want to do is have my 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,a and 21st frets silver, rather by spray paint or silver sharpie. What could I put on top of that to make it so it doesn't fade away but still works perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

You might need to re-word that... it's a bit confusing.

You want every second fret to look silver? As opposed to... the silverish colour it already is??

No matter what you're trying to accomplish (of which I'm not entirely sure yet), there is no substance in the world that will 'not rub off' a fret. As you bend notes or even just play, the fret will get worn down and reveal the nickel alloy beneath. A Sharpie, especially, will come off in one or two bends.

Perhaps I'm just missing the point.

Greg

next time specify if you mean the fret as in the metal bar or the piece of wood that you pess down on.

as for that i dont suspect a silver sharpie will be a suitable painting material, you should just look at a general finishing tutorial on this site, as most fretboards are finished any way, but i think it would be the same as painting/finishing a guitar body, but just to let you know dont use spray paint on bare wood, you need grain filler (unless you want the cool effect that follows if you dont fill) and one coat of spray paint wont do.

I am just throwing out ideas, but I believe there is a tutorial of Brian making those Jem inlays by putting the colored stuff under plexi glass. You could take something like aluminum foil, put it under the plexi glass (in order for the fret to not be silver anymore, it would have to go all the way through the plexi, so it's pretty durable) and inlay that. You could get like gray cloth if you don't want it to be reflective at all, or could inlay a big mirror at the frets if you want it really reflective...that might be cool.

All in all, I suck. I will not be held responsible for my ideas not working.

well ill see how much the plexi glass is, and the aluminum foil (jk)

isn't a mirror just basicly foil+glass=mirror

does anyone know if this will effect the tone at all?

i don't really want it to be shiny

i just want to:

1 take neck off

2 tape off unwanted areas that i don't want paint

3 "Tag" it dawg

4 repeat?

5 spray the clear coat

6 repeat?

i might have/want to sand the parts i want to paint, i think

well ill see how much the plexi glass is, and the aluminum foil (jk)

isn't a mirror just basicly foil+glass=mirror

does anyone know if this will effect the tone at all?

i don't really want it to be shiny

i just want to:

1 take neck off

2 tape off unwanted areas that i don't want paint

3 "Tag" it dawg

4 repeat?

5 spray the clear coat

6 repeat?

i might have/want to sand the parts i want to paint, i think

yep thats about right just read a tut on painting a solid body electric a solid color, it would be the same idea, and tape off all the places that are unwanted to painted and make sure you tape off the frets(the metal ones)and make sure you use about 3-4 layers of masking tape.

you will have to sand if its already finished with something (if its not ebony then it is most likely)

also make sure you spray/paint on a layer of grain filler as if you dont the pores in the wood will be visible, and depending on the paint you will also (most likely) need to paint a primer on) then do the real painting and then the clear finish (several coats each).

Oh and as a side note this isnt a 1-2 day project. your neck can be unusable for up to 3 weeks especially if you use an oil based grain sealer (which can take up to 1 week in order to paintable)

a2.jpg

If your using a maple fretboard you would just do your painting before you clear. Im guessing that was what was done on kieth's guitar in the pic.

I was searching for a pic of that guitar over the net. Where did you find that. I wanted to post it in the topic about rose inlay, to proof that pink doesn't need to de gay. If Keith uses it it's allright!