Peel and Stick Inlays

This has been addressed before! Don't waste your money on them.

I have used them and they look terrible. They stick out, so you snag them when you bend. They felt odd under my finger tips.

Others here stated the same problems as myself. Do your self a favor.

Save your money!

are you talking about Micralone? if you are, that isn't really recommended for fret inlays. it is good for headstocks and body graphics only. sure it is really thin pearl but it should be covered with a finish. you are best off going the whole 9 yards for a nice flush finish. it is more work but it is worth it in the end.

"They are so thin, that your fingers will likely not even notice they are there!"

What a load of bullsh*t!

Yeah, don't waste your time or money on that crap.

Obviously, they intend for you to use it on the neck (hence their name "Fretware"), but it's just WAY TOO THICK!

If you never bend your strings, then it may be OK.

Do you ever never bend your strings?

Didn't think so.....

Looks nice, feels like crap.

:D

Do they make something small enough to be used for that?

As long as you don't slide your thumb along the "top" of the fretboard, it would work.

It's just that they're not as thin as they claim.

A regular sticker, that's thin.

These things are almost as thick as a super thin pick, and that can get irritating to drag your hand across.

Thanks for pointing these out. Granted, for a fingerboard seems sorta silly, obviously you're going to feel them, but for faking a pearl headstock inlay (for those of us that are ignorant in the art of inlay) is pretty cool.

Wonder if the stuff will take a clear coat over top??

do you guys think its ok to use them as side dot markers? as i dont need fb markers, just side dots

It depends on your playing style. For instance, I wrap my thumb around the neck, so I would feel them dragging every time I moved my hand up or down the fretboard. However, if you don't play like that then it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't see why it wouldn't.

Thanks for pointing these out. Granted, for a fingerboard seems sorta silly, obviously you're going to feel them, but for faking a pearl headstock inlay (for those of us that are ignorant in the art of inlay) is pretty cool.

If you want tocheat a headstock inlay, you can get them from Decalshopmike. Shove decalshop into a search engine.

It's a square bit of pearl that you inlay and it has a sticker over the top so you can only see the bits of pearl you want to. Never used one but it's an option :D

I don't think there's a problem for the stuff to "take a clearcoat".

But I don't think it will be that easy to make its thickness "disappear" under the clear.

Once again, the stuff is pretty thick......

Might be hard to get a level surface.

side dots are so easy to install i don't see why you would want to take any other way out.

i bought 3 sticks from stewmac,i drill all my holes,glue 1 stick in each hole(3 total)then wait about 5 minutes(super glue),take my chisel and snap them off flush,repeat until i run out of holes...then light sanding and presto...it's done

Thanks for the feedback. I thought these were junk, but I wanted to see if anyone had any luck with them. The idea of doing a headstock inlay and clearing over it still interests me, but I will do my neck the traditional way of inlay!

I have been wonder how PRS makes that really thin gold logo headstock inlay?

The headstock PRS signature isn't inlay. It's a decale, or other application I believe. You can inlay metals that thin, even shell with CNC, or a very patient artist could do it as well. It just takes longer.

There's been a few people on this forum using the word inlay very very loosly around here the past few days. :D

Just like those stickers are stick on "inlays" B)

If it sticks on the surface it's a sticker. If the wood is routed, the material inset, then glued in, and then leveled, then it's inlay. Sorry to be sticky about this but I don't think the confusion of term helps the newer people.

Craig L