veneer options

Hmmm... If you were to laminate multiple layers of veneer together, alternating grain direction, and make a pickguard out of it, I bet it wouldn't have the stability issues that a single thin piece of wood made into a pickguard would.

I know what you're saying... Veneer only serves the purpose of looks (like wood really thin 1/15 or 20") A top, or cap, like 3/8 or 1/4" thick serves the purposes of tone and looks. If you used pickguard material as veneer, (really thin) then I don't see anything wrong with that, except it might kill your tone a little. That's just my opinion...

Hmmm... If you were to laminate multiple layers of veneer together, alternating grain direction, and make a pickguard out of it, I bet it wouldn't have the stability issues that a single thin piece of wood made into a pickguard would.

i think that is a wonderful idea...i will try that right away

I've made a few pickguards and truss rod covers from veneer. The workmanship on some of them is not as good as I'd like to see but I'm slowly learning. The laminating is the easy part, just sandwich the layers between two boards and clamp the hell out of it. I used epoxy for a little added strength but I would think about any good glue would work. Titebond did make the veneer curl making the sandwich hard to handle but was still workable.

This one on my saga kit was just laminated onto the original plastic PG.

Untitled12.jpg

This one is four layers of veneer. I built it for my Schecter.

Schecter%20PGs.jpg

Here are a couple of the PGs that I've built for acoustics with just one layer of veneer.

Hummingbirds.jpg

Jesuss.jpg

And a truss rod cover for Woody.

P1000535.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

JPL, that is gorgeous work!!!!!!

I've made a few pickguards out of veneer. It works best if you use three (or more) layers, alternating the direction of the grain. clamp the veneers together between two pieces of plywood (and waxed paper of course.)

However, I never kept any of those pieces long enought to know how they hold up. How do they wear, JPL?

Thanks for the kind words.

With the exception of the acoustic pickguards mine are multi ply. They are all finished with poly so durability isn't a big problem, just the usuall pick scratches.

I've had the most problems with the single ply acoustic pickguards. It doesn't take much of a screw up to make it curl or pucker. I have quite a collection of unuseable acoustic pickguards. Nothing like learning the hard way. :D