Lots of padauk/mahogany build progress to 6/14

I'll start you off with the latest shot of my prototype but without a little finishing touch on my headstock that occurred later in the day... It'll give you an idea of what it will look like finished though...

061204_00.JPG

The next two shots show how I cut the electronics access panel of the padauk back by hand with Tim's coping saw. He questioned my technique with the tool, but came quickly to understand my method... He knows so much ablut tools and woodworking that it is a special treat for me to be able to show him something new...

061204_01.JPG

061204_02.JPG

The next three are of the neck I finished.

061204_04.JPG

061204_05.JPG

061204_06.JPG

Next is gluing up the back of my guitar to the mahogany frame...

061204_07.JPG

061204_08.JPG

Look for next post to see the rest... Boggs

Next, you will see the homemade router base plate and Tim using it on his guitar top...

061204_09.JPG

061204_10.JPG

061204_11.JPG

The result was spectacular!!

061204_12.JPG

Will do... Thanks for checking in! Three guitars at once all semi-hollow... What the hell were we thinking?! :D Boggs

Which ones are we talking about... There are 3 guitars being shown here! :D

I forgot to mention that the headstock is a "standard" Carvin Holdsworth headstock design with the exception that I provided Carvin with the padauk for the overlay. Under the padauk is a layer of maple (the second overlay) and that is all mated to the mahogany headstock/neck. It was sealed with lacquer sanding sealer and finished with multiple layers of nitrocellulose laquer and a final top coat of tung oil for feel.

My guitar body was shaped by cutting the outside near the actual design line with a big industrial band saw. I then used sanding drums and disk sanders as well as an orbital finishing sander and my hands to smooth and contour the outside. The inside chambers were cut using my little jigsaw and smoothed with a variety of drum sanders. This represents a helluva lot of work. The body has yet to see a router!

The prototype is just el-cheapo wood (pine planks glued together for the chambered skeleton and European hardwood plywood for the top and back totaling less than $10) used to test build processes but it sounded so good that I am reviving it! The neck on it is a standard issue Carvin maple neck with 6-inline headstock and ebony fingerboard. It has been sealed with Murdoch's hard oil. I will use ivory pickups and gold hardware on it (for the irony-effect... Very rustic finish with gold hardware... :D )

I like the action shot too! I tried very hard to capture it... B) Boggs

The result was spectacular!!

061204_12.JPG

Since you got 3 guitars here, this is the one that I liked, and the 4+2 neck is awsome, I'm trying to modify the one from James Hetfield guitar(explorer) into a 4+2, just finished printing the real size to start working with it.

Awsome work...

That is my buddy Tim's guitar body. He has a couple of Kubicki basses so he modeled his guitar after them so he can have more-or-less matching bass and guitar body styles... Here is his new guitar body next to his Kubicki bass...

061204_13.JPG

The headstock and neck shown are for my guitar.

Here, you can see our projects kind of side-by-side. He is doing a 4+2 headstock of his own design. Mine is a Holdsworth design. Cheers! Boggs

061204_03.JPG

Looks good. The pictures help me with my upcoming project.

Cool! How's that?...