I'M OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!!

I am in the process of building the 2 guitars now and helping out on the third and I already am formulating plans in my head for my next guitar build... a solid body neck-through 12-string using Cuban mahogany and koa (that I got while in Hawaii last winter) bookmatched wings and a 5-piece koa/mahogany/koa/mahogany/koa laminated neck (for strength) and I intend to design my own bridge and saddle assembly such that each of the 12 strings can be intonation adjustable... I'M OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!! :D Boggs

Ha ha ha! Yep. I'm working on 2 at the moment and I already have ideas for another one. This is sooooo addictive. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I no longer say to myself, "gee, I sure wish I owned one of those". Now I just figure I can build whatever I want. :D

I intend to design my own bridge and saddle assembly such that each of the 12 strings can be intonation adjustable

Props for forging your own design. If it turns out to be a PITA StewMac has one that does exactly that, $35.

12er bridge

That is kind of what I had in mind... Only $35? How can I compete with that?... I will have to look at this one closely to see its advantages and disadvantages... Boggs

Boggs, Carvin also carries a twelve string bridge that is fully intonatable. (is that a word?) I haven't used it yet but it is very well built. If you like I could take some good close up pictures.

BTW: Welcome to the board boggs, you're a welcome asset here.

This post is modified using less words and less statements that can be construed as bitter or defensive.

Young folks,

Keep building guitars and don't let anything discourage you from doing what you love. I haven't been here long enough to know dave so I jumped at his comment without knowing what he meant. I love what happens in this forum and I think you all are a very helpful and easy group to throw ideas at.

No, I wasn't talking about you.

It's obvious that there are some who do succeed but they are few and far between. When I wrote that (and the stuff I wrote in that other thread), my motivation was to help those who are at a point where they are at a crossroads in their lives. I can see the excitement they have about doing this for a living but that can easily cloud reality. If someone told me that it is more likey that each kid will succeed (who decides to focus on building guitars instead of going to school) than fail - I'd disagree. It doesn't matter if you know of others who have made it - it's going to be up to you to be prepared for what life throws at you down the road.

I wrote a big long reply but deleted it. I'm tired of trying to help and being ignored or cast aside as being foolish in my advice. I don't wish failure on anyone - just trying to provide a little wisdom (it does come with age believe it or not).

daveq,

Your right, get a good education first, some kind of natural science education doesn't harm when you want to be a luthier. As a mechanical engineer, I will say that this is really valuable for me - I like to understand the nature of how things work - making me able tho change and improve them, and still retain the qualities from the basis.

Knowledge never goes out of style!

I'm tired of trying to help and being ignored or cast aside as being foolish in my advice.

kind of comes with the territory lately...alot of young people just don't want to take advice.

but give it anyway...then the foolish ones are the ones who don't listen

Daveq,

Please continue to post your opinions as they DO matter. Unfortunately, and it is just human nature, you will tend to hear more from those who disagree than who agree. You can't let that censure yourself because that is how ideas are squashed.

I'm 51 and I still have a lot to learn about everything... not just guitars. I look at what I am doing as a hobby which someday I hope to be able to "use" to supplement my income and spread a little bit of joy at the same time. I will never really feel "ready" to consider myself a luthier no more than I can really consider myself a musician. My own standards for both are too high for me to ever achieve.

What I would like to be able to do is set up beginners' guitars for them so they will be easier to play and make them want to play because they are not fighting a poor setup on the instrument. I want to be able to give them awareness of their instrument's characteristics and how they can improve on them for their own playing. Building these guitars hopefully will arm me with more of those skills and enhance my credibility for those who would need such services. Also, my designs are very ergonimic in where I am stressing function over form which may take some eyes a bit of getting used to. My prototype has been called butt-ugly... until they put it in their hands and realized how comfortable it is to play! There is more to guitar life than Strat or LP or PRS... I took my lead from Alan Holdsworth and hope to take it to another level. I have no dillusions of grandeur as I do realize I could never make a living from doing this. It's all about spreading a little enthusiasm and maybe inspiring someone with more talent than me to do something they too can be proud of! Cheers, mate! :D Boggs