Les Paul in progress...

Hahaha- thanks for answering the questions Setch.

RGGR- it looks red on my screen- i am not having a go at you, maybe you may want to think about an eye test- I had a friend who sees some red shades as purple, and it turned out he had a degree of colorblindess.

(Sorry for the thread hijack- I tried to pm RGGR, but it said you box was full)

thanks again Setch,

Luke

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks David - and everyone else who has taken the time to say nice things about my project. Sorry it's not been updated for a while, hopefully I'll get the last few clearcoats on it today, but I need to do a monster cleanup in the garage first. Having a lathe in the same space you do your finishing in is a PITA - saw dust everywhere, and fine dust just waiting to settle on your finish. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Things are starting to get shiny round here...

I shot my final coats of clear, levelled with 1500 then 2000 and buffed out using Rustin@s burnishing paste. I use the paste slightly cut with water on a foam buffing pad from Screwfix Direct. The gloss it leaves is very nice, but it does tend to leave fine scratches (or swirls) which I have to get rid of. The last guitar looked OK with the swirls still there, but the dark finish of this one makes them more obvious, so I'll have to find a good swirl remover and/or glaze to get rid of them.

Anywho, the front:

95_frontshiny.jpg

and the back:

96_backshiny.jpg