Has anybody here built their own case??

I was thinkin about building a case for my future guitar. How much did it cost?? How long did it take?? And was it too hard?? i was looking a stew mac and it looks like they have most of the stuff you need. mine would be look kinda like a flight case, with those metal amp corners on all 8 of my corners. it would be sweet

:D I did, w/my dad, back in about '77 or so. We built a rectangular box out of 1/4" plywood then cut it into 2 pieces, a bottom and a top. Then I covered it w/fiberglass, painted it black and stuck some foam and cloth on the inside. Put a handle and some latches on it. I bet, empty, the sucker weighed over 25 lbs!!! B) Also, the handle was not mounted in the right spot and the thing was very neck-end heavy. Couldn't dump it fast enough. :D

I was going to build one out of metal, then decided i would have to be Arnold Shwarzeneger to lift it :D

If i was to build one, i would make it like mentioned above ^^

line the inside with foam with clot stapled over it

It wouldnt be too too hard

Curtis

I actually was planning on making a case too... similar to a coffin type case with a "natural" type finish... I haven't gotten too far on the plans as of yet... house remodeling has taken up most of my time. But I am concern about the weight too.... I want it to be solid ... but I don't want a hernia when lifting it!!!! lol.

One bit of info I do have... I have a "Coffin Case" that I got for my B-day. The interior is a purple velvet w/ a v- shape kind of embossed on it... which is pretty neat looking. I think you can duplicate this pattern ... or even make your own custom pattern.... The key is to have a velvet fabric w/ a high Rayon content..... You will need to make a pattern (like a stamp) that is able to handle a clothes iron. Basically you put the pattern flat, lay the fabric with the velvet side down... and iron away.... This will leave a crisp imprint of your pattern on the velvet.... pretty neat... I found a fabric site that explains it much better... I'll post it later... but you can customize your interior very easily... Sorry for the long post..... hope I at least gave my $0.02 .....

im sorta makin one right now, im makin it outta 1/4 luaan which is plywood, so far i have the bottom and the sides and insides all glued up i have the top cut but i need to make the lil overhangs for the top and get hardware for it, the only problem i have so far is my guitar design changed so now it dont fit so ill prolly hang on to it and put my other guitar in it and take my old shotty case apart for hardware, so far it has cost me nothing cuz i had the wood lying around

MzI

im sorta makin one right now, im makin it outta 1/4 luaan which is plywood, so far i have the bottom and the sides and insides all glued up i have the top cut but i need to make the lil overhangs for the top and get hardware for it, the only problem i have so far is my guitar design changed so now it dont fit so ill prolly hang on to it and put my other guitar in it and take my old shotty case apart for hardware, so far it has cost me nothing cuz i had the wood lying around

MzI

Is the Luaan your using pre-painted with the little slots every 6 inches or so? :D

If I made a case, I would use thinner fiberglass on the whole thing (one of my neighbours makes amp and speeker boxes, and he could hook me up) and glue it all togeather with 1'x1' wooden braces on corners and such. I would probley glue cloth on the outside for looks. And felt or velvet on the inside.

But ive heard (on MIMF) that it takes almost as much time as a guitar, and is way more expensive than buying a cheapish case.

the luaan im using is just regular luaan you get a home depot its unfinished and sanded on both sides, as far as cost wise im copying the gibson 59 historic V case so i dont feel like spending the 200 or so to get one from the gibson custom shop if i could even get one

MzI

Lauan 1/4 top and bottom: half sheet is cheap, $10 tops, and I'm sure I have enough 3/4" birch lying around for sides.

Duplicolor truck bed paint for outside: 2 cans for $16 total

For the inside: fleece, enough for a case is about $7 or faux fur for around $9 or $10

1" house insulation styrofoam (used for body shape cutout & neck supports): free, as any construction site is guaranteed to have either scraps or extra

1" latex foam for padding: $10

that's $46, and then add hardware (call it $20 for good stuff) and labor, plus cost of staples and hotglue!

However, the case you get matches your guitar EXACTLY, and is very high quality. With the housing insulation all around it, even if the case gets smacked really hard, and the lauan breaks, the hard foam takes the impact.

That is true. However, my bass is somewhere between a J bass and a G&L SB-1, but the top horn is just long enough to make it be a tight fit (in a bad way) into my current case. It'd be nice if the area that holds the body was perfectly nice and snug around it.

Also, cheapish cases are often generic; that is, a case of comparable price to a built one would NOT be custom shaped to your guitar, be it a Strat, LP, or Warlock, but a square one.

that is one nice lookin case ^^

what about plexi glass? it is light, it can break though...

Sheet metal? that stuff is pretty light and you can get it pop riveted together!! B):D

but i am going to eventually do my own case, maybe this summer after i do my 7 string, my RR just barely fits in my case right now, so i want a custom one for my 7 string

Curtis

I build my own cases, check it out on my website. They cost about 250 to do one at a time with stuff bought at home depot or lowes, but there are metal and plastics suppliers that are a lot cheaper if you plan to buy in larger quantities.My Webpage

Damn, you could knock through walls with that thing! Very well built, apparently, but do you by chance have a breakdown of that $250 number? I remember that loosetoe had a custom-built case for his 6 string bass for $200, including parts and labor.

I am glad you guys are bringing this up. I built a Mosrite type guitar that is too large for any case I've seen. I bought some thin pressboard and was going use it to cover a light wooden frame. I never made it past purchasing the material. I'm pretty sure it would work if I could get the frame sturdy enough. I even have some fux leather I was going to cover the outside. Someone needs to draw up some working plans!

I did find the Cedar Creek Cases company, but they want an arm and a leg to build a custom case.

Truck bed paint is a brilliant idea... much better than gluing on vinyl or fiberglassing.

I like the idea of kerf bending plywood, so that the sheet that forms the top/bottom can be folded to form the front and back sides. The carcass could be made from two pieces of plywood and 4 smaller pieces of wood to close out the left and right sides. It would be shaped like the old Fender Tweed cases.

Somewhere surfing on the net, I saw a pic of a case with a small amp built in. Maybe someone into speaker design knows if there's enough room in the case, around the neck, to put in a labyrinth/folded pipe/resonator something to boost the sound from a Smokey amp.