Tips/Suggestions?

hey guys... there are probably alot of topics on this but i wanted one specific to me...

anyways, im going to upstate ny for a while starting friday to build my first ever custom guitar in my granpas workshop. i ordered parts and im basically making an exact replica of a fender tele... ive always wanted a tele, and ive always wanted to build my own guitar, its like the best of both worlds.. anyways, i was just wondering if you guys had any tips on how NOT to screw up when building my guitar... anythings to avoid, anythings to make sure to do.. i have 2 books on guitarbuilding and have been studying it for the past year, so i think im ready...

:D

all i can really say is to try an avoid any interruptions.... That's what has plauged me for a lot of time currently...... Just when you get into the whole creative vibe..... boom... the phone rings... the baby starts to cry.... someone's at the front door..... etc...etc..etc.... It will hinder your progress massivly... I'v ended up measuring things 52 times... because I was interrupted.. and had to take care of something.... Once I return... the big ? comes up..."Where was I last" .... just my thoughts

I agree with a lot of what has been said here.

Definately start with a full size drawing. You don't have to get a CAD drawing, as I've proven to myself. Sure it helps, but given that you are trying to make something more exotic, tape a bunch of pieces of printer paper together and measure and draw it as best you can. Waste paper if you have to. Paper is very cheap compared to wood.

When carving and shaping your guitar, take your time, even if it's just 5 minutes of sanding a day for a month. There's no rush, is there?

It's also better to cut just a little oversized and sand and smooth the guitar down to the size you need. You can take wood away, but it's impossible to put it back on (without filling or glueing chunks back in).

If you are tired or frustrated, stop!

plans, drawings, and templates are a must, draw them out in on of the many cad programs, basic 2d drawings dont take much time to work how to make, mabe 30 min to get used to it, and then after that its smooth saling though it does take a while (3-4 hours for me) to draw it perfectly,

also right from this moment make a vow that you will not rout freehanded, unless your just taking out the bulk of the wood , but never route close to the line frehanded, always use a template for that(I learned this the hard way :D )

also like many other people say, measure twice cut once.

remember there are two ways to do everything....

1: The fast, easy, inefficient way

and

2: the slower, tedious, more efficient way

Try not to take the easy way out (unless the easy way is more efficient), and make sure you will be proud of your work.

Howdy,

Read through THIS list of mistakes to avoid making. It will be of tremendous help to you.

1) Use your grandfathers wisdom and experience to your benefit.

2) Make sure he knows that you appreciate his help.

3) Play the guitar for him every time you go to visit or comes to visit you. Heck, make him a video and send it to him someday.

4) Make sure and do non-guitar things too.

5) Not knowing your grandfather, be considerate of his age and physical condition.

6) If you haven't yet, ask him if he ever played the guitar.

And if you have a digital camera, post lots of pictures and the story here.

Take care,

Guitar Ed

I love the bit in melvin Hiscox' book where he says most of us build guitars to play them, and that it's easier to play with all your fingers..

You can f@ck up your guitar over and over - it just costs money right? routing a finger off is irreparable, so whatever you do, think about it from the safety aspect first and primarily. Keep that at the front of your mind all the time.

thanks for all the replies guys... i just have one question...

as i said im building a telecaster replicate... i cant find a template or anything anywhere and im very nervous about getting the body shape right... what should i do?

Well....You could go to the local guitar shop and trace one