Oiling Router Bits?

kench

I was wondering... if oiling the cutter edges of the router bits could prevent black burnt cavities. It happens especially on maple where you move the router slower, for example the corner areas of a pickup cavity.

Any of you guys tried to oil them before using?... or do you all use oils on bits already but I just don't know it because I'm too novice?

I'm planning to try it on my next routing job. But I think the oil must be heat resistant... or I might burn the oil itself. What kind of oils I may use? I could think of engine oils that are used on cars.

BAD IDEA!

Ditto.

Look into getting a dry lube specially formulated for router cutters. Trend sells a kit in the UK which contains a dry cutter cleaner, a dry cutting lubricant, and a soft brass brush for cleaning the collets. I have one and it's great.

You're looking for something like this...

56z4430s1.jpg

It's called dry coat, designed to be sprayed on cutting tools to improve the cutting edge life. NOT to be confused with TOPcoat, which is a lubricant you spray on your slidding surfaces, like planers, jointers, table saws, band saws, etc.