Suggest a wood

I quit my job. Besides finally having time to play my present guitars, I am looking forward to starting work on my own custom. I want it to be like a UV or RG 7-string with a sustainer in the neck position. I will probably look for a used Ibanez 7 neck and get custom inlay done.

I am lost on the type of wood to use for the body though. I want gonzo sustain and bright tone, two things that probably don't go together.

Suggestions please. :D

Thanks guys. Ash seems to have the properties I am looking for. A couple others have suggested it as well. I think I am going to have a body made. Let the pros do it, ya' know? I will try one myself, but not the first time. My first custom will present me with a big enough challenge just getting the neck on right. I will do the routing for the Sustainer myself.

Scott, sustainiac is the only 7-string sustainer I am aware of as well. I have been asking around.

Now, I wonder if I can find one of those new style Edge trems...

I'm pretty inexperienced too, but I built a laminated body with a center section of very hard, very dense purpleheart flanked by two strips of bubinga. I put a hardtail bridge and .010 strings on it and the beast do indeed tend to sustain. The wings on the body are soft maple, with very large chambers routed out; even so, the guitar is pretty heavy.

I personally own two maple-bodied Dillion 7-strings { they look like an RG7 copy}. The brightness does indeed balance well with the low-b, and it sounds so bright and clear! I really like it a lot. And neither of them are all that heavy... i mean, they're a little heavier than your standard basswood RG7, but then again, the Dillion RG-style body has a bit more mass to it than the Ibanez does.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Ben

If Maple is bright sounding I need to consider it. The sound of the low b is a big issue with me.

I could live with the standard Lo-Pro, but a new trem would be cool. Maybe by the time I get ready to start this Brian or someone will know how to rout it.

I am getting rather excited about this. I love UVs, but have always desired more sustain and a little brighter sound. This may be my answer. I wonder how freaky it would be to use the standard UV template for the body, but make it a little thicker, like maybe Les Paul thickness? I bet those strings would really hum.

well you better be a big guy with health insurance for a solid maple guitar, but man, if you really dont wanna make the body this time around, definately get whoever makes it to rout it for you too man! there's little point otherwise; the rout is one of the hardest things on the guitar to do especially with a ibanez trem

Really, the weight isn't that bad at all... i'm about 5'6 and weigh around 120, and i have no problems standing up playing these guitars for long amounts of time. Oh, and i also have a bad back :D ! Not from the guitars, though, it's always been that way. Also, if you remember WAAAAAAY back when, Geroge Lynch used to play those solid maple ESP's back in the day. That's when he was just a little guy, too! These days, he looks more like The Hulk, though...

I think a good idea would be to rout tone chambers in the body. This would cut the weight back a little and also increase the overall resonance of the body. This would be especially great if you do the 2" thick body.

Hope that helps!

Ben

Oh, and what kind of finish are you going to do on it?

old heavy cadilacs = good

old heavy les pauls= good

i go with the motto= if its heavy its got to be good ! so dont worry about the weight ! :D