Homemade Pickups

Primal

Okay, I've been interested in winding my own pickups for awhile now. I wanted to ask some of you guys (or gals) where you get your coil wire, magnets, bobbins, etc. Ideally I would like to order from a suppliers who carries all (or most) of the components needed.

Hmm... I got my wire from StewMac, but they don't have magnets or bobbins.

AllParts has magnets and bobbins, but no wire. It's a conspiracy by the Men in Black. :D You didn't hear that from me.

Jason Lollar has a book on it, but it's basicly a 20 dollar instruction manual for a pickup coil winder, and other homemade designs can be obtained free on the net. Google for them.

Bobbin's have no substance to them, and can be handcrafted with ease. RadioShack carries magnets, but you need some modifications to designs before you can use them. Or at least the ones I got.

Ampage has a forum for pickup makers, here.

And Jon Tirone's page has some neat articles on the subject. Jon's site.

Pickup's are weird, mostly becaue there is absolutly nothing to them at all. They're magnets with wire wrapped around them. That's it.

Hope this helps!

radioshack has there own wire and magnets both ceramic and alnico. you can make bobbins or you can use dead pickups try my favorite line.."doorbell rings and shop keeper says hello may i help you"

PRIMal; "hello sir i am called primal and i was wondering i am getting into my own diy pickup winding and perhaps do you have any dead or malfunctioning pickups that i could purchase off of you for a reasonable price."

SHOPKEEPER:"well yes young man i do would you like to have this whole box of crap i have. tell ya what if you buy a pack of strings i will let you have it for nothing."

someone else can finnish the story from here.

last time I asked the guy who owned a music store, if he had any dead pickups I could have, or buy, he said he's been throwing them away everytime he has one.

I just read a thread at ampage about the smaller spools of wire (like stewmac sells) not working as smoothly as a big 5 pound roll of wire.

It's usually more effective to get to know the repair guy (unless he rewinds pickups himself) - they generally won't mind helping you out, especially if it's not any trouble for them to do. Some are actually pretty cool, and will go out of their way to help, once they're convinced that you're not after their job.