Ideas

Right, I'm just after buying this guitar:

158823.jpg

?200 for the guitar, a strap and delivery plus some change.

This is going to be my first project guitar so I want your ideas, no matter how crazy. But bare in mind, I have pretty much NO money, so there'll be no midi systems or piezo's installed :D

Refnish to your own taste, what pups are in it stock?

New electronic features (coil splitting or phasing maybe?)

Dont think about changing it till its in your hands and you can see what your happy with and not happy with, then you can decide what needs changing.

They're cheap pickups, no doubt. Rsera has one IIRC. What I was thinking was if I don't like it, I could sell it around here for a nice profit. If I do like it, turn it into a neck through, black and white cloth top, black burst, "borrow" some of LGM's custom body ideas maybe, things like that. I was just wondering does anyone else have any ideas like that.

Coil splitting may be an option. I'll have to look at the pickups when I get the guitar.

Eh, get a length of maple (probably), shape a neck from it, take the body, cut it in half, remove the width of the neck wood from the body, glue it back up and route it for the right cavities. Quite simple tbh. Drastic but simple.

Yeah I was just thinking it would be alot of work but then again if you refinishing it anyway it wont matter.

If you like it you saidd you were gonna change, why change what your happy with?

I mean your basicly just buying that guitar for parts. It would esentualy be a brand new guitar rather than a project guitar which you said it would be, wouldnt it?

Basically, I don't have enough wood working skills to begin a guitar from scratch. Plus I have next to no money. I think it would be quite hard to find 7 tuners, a 7 string floyd plus locking nut, pickups, controls, knobs and fretboard for ?200, especially in this country.

It would be a project guitar however. I have plans to redo the neck (obviously), refinish, modify the body shape possibly, new head design. TBH, it's quite like qhat LGM does when he gets an RG570 to turn into a JEM imo...

Hmm, interesting ideas. The flick paint is mighty expensive though and a bit too showing. The cloth top is something that isn't seen in this town and rarely in this country. The aanj would be irrelevant if it was a neck through.

Thanks for the ideas though. Keep em coming :D

I would definitely do the coil tapping, that can add so much diversity to the sound of a guitar. Plus, 7 string chords on a single coil sound really unique.

For the look: I tend to not like the monkey grip, but doing some small shaping changes to the body would give it a lot more personality.

I can't tell exactly which model of trem is on there from the picture, but upgrading that is often a fairly cheap way to improve... basically everything about the guitar; sustain, tone, tuning stability etc.

It's an incredibly cheap licensed Floyd Rose. I was planning on blocking the trem until such time as I could afford a decent FR. I was think of using LGM's circular cutouts, just below the strap pin where the plug would go, kinda like on a jem.

I'm a little confused about the neck-through idea. Are you saying that you'd be building your own neck or are you doing something to re-use the existing neck somehow? I get the part about cutting the body but I don't understand what you're planning for the neck.

I am going to take the fretboard, nut and tuners off the neck. I'm going to throw the neck away. I'm going to buy a long piece of wood, probably maple, carve a neck, attach the fretboard, nut and tuners, then stick it in between the 2 pieces of the body.

well if you are looking at a $200 budget, look on ebay and look for Saga kits. They suck with their electronics but you can switch them out. The kit some people sell with shipping is about 120 for a strat or tele type and a LP goes for as cheap with shipping as 170. Well you can use the electronics in it but they suck like i said. Lets see, the kit comes with a pre-cut and routed body and fretted and nutted neck. You can paint it what ever color you want as long as you buy the paint yourself. It comes unfinished so you will need to buy a finishing coat. Its a really good deal. I got the LP style. Im customizing the intire thing. Good luck with what ever you do.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure about keeping the truss rod actually. I might just get a Hotrod from StewMac.

Monkey, the problem is I don't trust eBay for some weird reason. Also, to the best of my knowledge, you can't get a reasonably cheap seven string kit. Plus, I don't know if I like 7 strings that much. If I don't, it will be flogged and something else bought. If I do, let the mods begin :D

Ok just had a crazy idea not sure if it would work but gonna suggest it any way (cuz it looks cool in my head) ok you could do a solid colour (eg dark blue) then do a sort of crazy misty white swirl (so u can still sort of see through it) thing over the top (if that makes any sense) then finish off with aload of clear coats.

also i do like the through neck idea (mayb buy an already built 1 from carvin?) and then cut the body in half and glue it on (with any adjustments of course)...

just an idea that flew into my head.

Big T

:D

after putting a monkey grip in my guitar i became unsure whether i liked it or not, but oh well. I'm painting my guiatr black with white trim...(inside of monkey grip white, and edges white, which i rounded out for a joe satriani signature feel ...kind of....) well thats the last post of the night