My latest inlay

Hi everyone.

This isn't a guitar of course, but it demsonstrates what can be done on even a very variable and heavily curved surface such as a knife handle. It wraps around, and slopes unevenly to the knife base, which made for a complex piece. It's far more complicated than a radiused fingerboard. It's about 75 pieces of different types of pearl, and pink atlantine in a walnut handle. The whole inlay is only 3 inches from top to bottom. The knife was custom made as well. I plan on making a mini tutorial from this one day, but I have gotten pretty busy. It may take a while.

Thanks for looking!

Craig

bestfinishedjelly.jpg

bestfullknife.jpg

I thought it was rare enough to be commissioned to do a jellyfish a while back for a violin I did.

This is my second jelly now. I think I hold the world record for jellyfish inlays. :D

Thanks guys.

Craig

Thanks as always everyone.

To answere some questions, this one took longer than usual just because I went through about 6 seperate designs until I decided upon a plan that would not only work, but be visually exciting. It also had to be able to have all of the pieces fit the curve, without sanding through. If I had to make a good guess I'd say it took maybe 20 hours? Engraving it took 4 hours, cutting it maybe 5, now that I think of it 25 may be right. I know it took under 30 for sure, but more than 15 total. I try not to think of it. If I get caught up in time I may never hit my goals.

As far as man-o-war are concerned, I have a friend that wants one done for him. He makes stained glass and can't figure out how I would go about doing a man-o-war inlay. I can't wait to show him how!

More again soon.

Craig

Design and inspiration: First rate

Execution: First rate

Overcoming technical difficulties (Curves & what not): First rate

Overall review: Is there something better than first rate? Damn.

Clavin, in a number of years I can see you working on Martin #2,000,000. Keep up the work. You do mighty fine work.

Guitar Ed