say you wanted to build a guitar from scratch and you wanted a veneer on top, could you put the veneer directly on the wood THEN cut the body out? i just think it would be a lot easier than cutting the venner to the shape of the thick wood, im pretty sure this wouldnt work, because i havent heard of people doing it, and its a good idea i thin and if people arent doing it that probably means it wouldnt work, but i dont know, if anyone could give any suggestions or answers that would be great, BTW im not building a guitar anytime soon, im just wondering if it would work :D

Years ago I worked as a woodworker for about a year doing veneer work and sanding. (Furniture making.)

It's traditional to apply the veneer to the panel first, then cut to shape. Since you usually want to hide the edge of the veneer, you want the edges flush, and the best way to do that is to cut the panel after it's been glued. That way if you bind the top the veneer joint is invisible.

Just a thought.

If your cutting it on a bandsaw it'll probably be fine as it cuts from the top down.

If using a jigsaw, they cut on the upstroke so it may splinter bits off your vaneer like it does to plywood. You could always turn the wood so the vaneer is on the bottom though.

Don't know if this is an actual problem but just something that came to mind :D

the only thing you cant do if you were to do that method would be an arm scoop, like on a strat.

No, you can. The arm relief is planar. It's a flat surface that meets the flat surface of the front of the guitar with a radius. A sheet of veneer can follow that contour.

I've got a Warmoth body with a laminated top. They take an 1/8" thick top and bend it over the contour of the arm relief.

laminate_soloist.jpg

You can't bend the veneer into the belly cut. If the belly cut was made on a conical surface, you could use a second piece of veneer to cover that surface with a seam where they meet. There are other tricks you could do, but, it's on the back of the guitar.

the only thing you cant do if you were to do that method would be an arm scoop, like on a strat.

No, you can. The arm relief is planar. It's a flat surface that meets the flat surface of the front of the guitar with a radius. A sheet of veneer can follow that contour.

I've got a Warmoth body with a laminated top. They take an 1/8" thick top and bend it over the contour of the arm relief.

laminate_soloist.jpg

You can't bend the veneer into the belly cut. If the belly cut was made on a conical surface, you could use a second piece of veneer to cover that surface with a seam where they meet. There are other tricks you could do, but, it's on the back of the guitar.

reread the first question...i think you missed the gist of the first post