New Guitar

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im rebuilding a guitar, and what im doing (since im having no knobs at all on it) is putting it on the side, and drilling a 3/4" hole all the way through and using a jack plate to cover the giant hole, but the only reason im doing it on the side (i could easily do it on the top, there is already a jack hole drilled) is for cosmetic reasons, and im not having any knobs, so im not giving any visible controls on the top. But since your having a knob, switch, and a jack, it might look better to have it on the top, its completely up to you dude, which ever you think looks better, I'd say for your guitar though, i'd put it on the side, only a knob and a switch would look cooler than a knob switch and jack, but like i said its completely up to u.

Here is a pic of the headstock template with the tuners i got off of ebay. The tuners are satin gold on the part you turn and the rest is chrome, except for the nuts and washers, which are regular gold. They look pretty cool. I would have gotten all gold ones but they wern't in my budget. Sorry for the crap pic. it was taken with my sisters webcam. :D

head.jpg

Does anyone know how/if you can paint your hardware? I have a stop tailpiece, from a previous guitar, and to save some money i was just gonna paint it.

It may be possible , ive thought of stripping the chrome off of bass tuner buttons and using metal prep on them and then painting them hot pink for a friend of mine.

Hi everyone, i am working on the headstock, and i was getting ready to order the parts for the LED bat logo. and i came across the tutorial in the electronics tutorial section, and the Current limiting resistor calculator. I was wondering what would be a good desired milliamps, and voltage per LED. Here is a diagram of what i was thinking about LED placement.

LEDS.jpg

I'm new to LEDs, so if that is a really bad idea, be gentle with you critisism. :D

Does anyone know how/if you can paint your hardware? I have a stop tailpiece, from a previous guitar, and to save some money i was just gonna paint it.

You can paint it, but it will wear off really quickly. You're better off getting it powder-coated, but for what that costs, buying a new bridge might make more sense, unless you're thinking of something other than chrome/black/gold. (You might be able to get it powder-coated in the same satin gold finish as your tuners.)

I was wondering what would be a good desired milliamps, and voltage per LED.

There's a section in there that explains what to use for those values. Ideally, you should get them from the specs on the LEDs that you bought. If you haven't bought them yet, check out Mouser.com or DigiKey and find the LED that you're looking for. There should be a link to the datasheet for the LED - click on it.

Here's the sections that describe the current and voltage drop values to use:

4.1.2.2 LED voltage drop

This may get a little confusing here so here’s a quick description of what this is. Each LED will create a “drop” in voltage when installed in the circuit. It’s usually referred to as the forward voltage rating or Vf in the datasheets. A typical value is around 3.5 volts. If you don’t know what this value is for your LED and can’t find it in the datasheets/specs, assume 3.5V. This value will be needed when calculating the resistor needed in the next step.

4.1.2.1 LED current

Take a look at the datasheet or electrical specs for the LEDs you bought. Look for the DC Forward Current rating. Typical values will be around 15 to 30mA.

If for some reason, you can't find the specs/datasheet, there are some general values that can be used. They depend on the color of the LED. Try this page for tips.

If you're trying to backlight something (I'm not sure what exactly you're using the LED for) - you might want to use a super bright LED - something with a mcd rating in the thousands.

DaveQ

I have all the parts now, and i got my parts from Brian yesterday. I looked at the switch (an on/on switch) and it has six of the little things on the bottom. (i don't know what they are called. :D ) And i was wondering if anyone could draw up a wiring diagram for two humbuckers, the switch and a volume pot. Not a schematic, i don't really know how to read them very well. Thanks in advance.

thats not a hardtail, thats a tremelo bridge, a hardtail bridge has tremelo bar (or whammy bar) hole for it to screw or be pressed into

Curtis

P.S. I am talking about the post right above mine, just incase confusion

Curtis

thats not a hardtail, thats a tremelo bridge, a hardtail bridge has tremelo bar (or whammy bar) hole for it to screw or be pressed into

Curtis

Curtis

what the heck are you two talking about?

:D

a tremelo is not a hardtail

hardtail=fixed bridge

ok, Wes

I was pointing out that a hardtail DOES NOT have a whammy bar,

A floyd Rose (with a whammy bar) is a tremelo bridge,

QUOTE (Curtis P @ Aug 26 2004, 08:00 PM)

Curtis

Curtis 

Westhemann

what the heck are you two talking about?

a tremelo is not a hardtail

hardtail=fixed bridge

I was pointing out that this is what Monkey posted

i make a guitar with a hard tail other than a floyd rose, i would get a wammy on it because you can take the bar out. And if you ever need it its there.

A floyd rose (from what I have seen is NOT a hardtail unless you mount it direct, or flush, however that works.

I was saying that a floydrose is a tremelo bridge, it has a whammy bar and when installed right, it is a tremelo bridge, NOT a hard tail

That help?

Curtis