project strat

hi, i am going to order my strat wood, and im sorted all down to the body! im a little in between what i would like.

mikestratgreen.jpg

body woods i have a few in mind. gonna use 1 piece bodies.

the options are;

USA cherry (favourite atm)

lacewood

imbuya

sycamore (maple)

ash

i know theres lots of woods, but hopefully with your help the best one will be shown, bearing in mind the finish i want. i like the cherry most atm, does anyone have any suggestions though?

other woods:

neck: maple

fretboard: flamed maple

pickups will prolly be along the lines of lace sensors or stacked coils etc...

i will be building this soon, so i will keep this thread updated with pics and progress, but it will be slow i warn ye!

mike

Im a big fan of lacewood (here we call it silky oak from my encouters with it), ive used it before for some non-guitar projects and if you get the stuff thats highly figured it can really be quite nice. Im going to use it in a guitar soon, but i've read that tonally it can be quite similar to mahogany.

David Myka used it for the body of his hollow bodied electric here: http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/015/default.htm

Lacewood apparently has a very alder-like tone which is more typically strat. It looks really cool to boot.

Every time someone mentions lacewood, I always ask Drak to post a pic of a purple lacewood Warlock he made, just to show how amazing it can look bleached and dyed (Drak, that's your cue!) and still retain its characteristic lacewood look.

This would look good with green too!

Travis, that's a beaut!

I am probably gonna buy the Lacewood, but i gotta know how to bleach it, or if it even needs done!

Any links or info on this would be very well recieved!

Mike

UPDATE!

i have changed my mind, and have decided to buy Ash. I looked at much lacewood, and it varies alot, and since i cant see what im buying from the catalogue i decided to buy Ash from a lumberyard close to me.

i phoned them up after some Ash, 2" thick and whatever wide, i can laminate it. he said that they only had 1" thich by 6" or more wide, but he may have a few "sticks!" of thicker stuff around. Interested i asked him what there was, he looked and came back saying there is a 10' long 7+" wide and 4" deep plank. Some stick!! well, im having it cut down to 2" thick, and buying the 10' length! i collect it tomorrow morning!

this is the really cool part! the wood from the suppler on the catalogue sells Ash also, £25 for a blank measuring 21" by 14". I will pay £27.40 for 120" long by 7(and a bit)" wide!! thats 2 entire body blanks (almost enough for 3)!! My wood searching days are over!! That price included cutting cost and VAT, thats a pretty sweet deal from where im sitting!

When i get the wood ill grab a digi cam and post some images if i have the time. Next thing is to order the stain, neck wood, fretwire etc... for the guitar.

Mike

haha, good plan!

ill use it for myself i reckon, greedy i know! i was thinkin that the leftover 18" or whatever could be a bass project.

anyhow i went down and got the wood today, and its really nice! very straight, and the grain is very nice, if you look at the in progress the strat pictorial uses swamp ash, my ash's grain looks pretty similar! its a really nice piece of wood!

Mike

UPDATE!

From craft supplies i have just ordered:

2m of medium fretwire, to add to my 2m i have.

maple neck 4"x1"x30"

flamed maple fretboard

truss rod, Gotoh

dark green solar lux dye.

cant wait till i get it :D

next stage... scrounge more money B) hardware etc...

Mike

PS when i get all this stuff ill post pics, the ash i have is lovely! its acclimitising.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

wood from craft supplies has FINALLY come!

the flamed maple fingerboard is AWESOME! its truely beautiful!

the maple neck blank is flawless, very straight, all kiln dried!

truss rod came also, looks like a single way modern style, averagely heavy jobbie!

2 metres of medium fretwire arrived to add to my existing 1 or 2.

gotta figure (hahaha) out what to do, to use the grain filler mixed with the dye (still not sure of, alcohol based dye with water based grain filler) i could however get the nitro from the site, and just use many coats, any advice would be appreciated.

i am thinking of using a full set of gold series lace sensors, or a red/blue/gold mix. probably the latter.

kluson tuners will be used, with a vintage bridge (most likely) probably schaller locking tuners.

i have also been toying with the idea of having no burst, i will have to see!

thats all for now, next thing... grab a camera, and start! hopefully a structured tutorial will come of this! it will also be hosted off site with no clutter for your reading pleasure! also i will host my 31 fret tut with it.

thats all for now!

Mike

UPDATE!

i have just ordered the grain filler from Behlen http://www.behlen.co.uk/

i spoke to them on the phone and they recommended filling the grain first, then staining, then poly etc... glad this area is cleared up, was bugging me!

funnily enough i read the front of the Behlen stain (alcohol based) it says "WARNING POISON!" very reasuring!

anyway thats all from me, next i should be ordering my pickups, and hardware, and hopefully working on the neck as i have all thatis required for it.

Mike

i know! im gonna look for a camera soon!

UPDATE!

i got my grain filler, and am testing it on a piece of oak, just to see if and how well it works, then ill try staining it. needless to say i will test with the ash when im really doing it.

ok, soon to be ordered is:

Lace Red/Blue/Gold set

Kluson tuners

Bridge

Brass Nut (maybe graphite)

electronics

scratchplates etc..

i will have pics soon!!!

Mike

im gonna stain over the wood filler as per LGMs instructions i think... i also asked the firm Behlen, they say fill wood then stain. im gonna give it a blast! if it doesnt turn out well i will get laquer and mix the stain to the laquer, thats gonna be more reliable!

thanks

mike