Ibanez Iceman

Hi there fellow luthiers. I'm new here so treat me good. (altough I have been reading this forum for a year or so) :D

I have thought about starting building guitars for a year or so.

An Ibanez iceman to be more precise. And unfortunately I can't find any drawings

or measures of it anywhere. So that's where you guys step in.

The question: Does anybody have/know where to find accurate measurements of it ?

Or even better, does anybody have/know where to find a CAD drawing of it ?

I was thinking about changing the body shape a little more for my taste.

And don't worry, I'm not totally new to luthiering (sp?), since I'm studying to become one and I have already made lots of different furnitures and such.

And reading ALOT about the subject. :D (Melvyn Hiscock)

So can anyone help me out ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about starting building guitars for a year or so.

An Ibanez iceman to be more precise. And unfortunately I can't find any drawings

or measures of it anywhere. So that's where you guys step in.

The question: Does anybody have/know where to find accurate measurements of it ?

Or even better, does anybody have/know where to find a CAD drawing of it ?

I can't help you find the drawings, but...

Why do you need them? You know the shape, and you plan to alter it a little. The scale length, fretboard width, fret positions, bridge position etc. still need to be calculated by you. Why don't you just take out a (large) piece of paper, mark the scale length and start doodling a body shape. That way, you'll end up with a guitar that's fully designed by yourself. And probably just as good, if you do it with concentration.

I have already drawed it on paper. In a matter of fact, I have already cutted the shape out of plywood, but it just doesn't seem/feel right to me...

icemanshape.jpg

And anyway... I'm a perfectionist so... :D hmm maybe...

Any suggestions ? (regarding the shape)

I had a great reply but the computer connection went down as I was about to post...then these replys came in and I lost all my text....grrrrrrrr :D

Anyway...I was going to lead you astray by suggesting that you donate to get access to the "Advanced Support Section" but I checked and the Iceman plans aren't there....still, since you've been lurking a while.... :D

If you search however you'll find other enquiries and someone here did kindly email me the 1:1 drawing...I'd have to find the file however...

You seem to have it pretty much down though...it does look a little squashed and the upper bout a little pointy or something...perhaps that's your changes? Anyway, the shape is deceptively elongated and kind if thin in the body.

The Iceman was designed as the Japanese answer to the Les Pauls and Strats of the West...it was designed to be a Japanese Classic...that was till those makeup wearing Kiss dudes in high heels started going into their midlife crisis period with songs like "Shandy" (Remember that one Kiss Army Guys...) and the guitar has suffered from it's association ever since!

My favourite one was the all Korina Explorer like original model...You might like the White Zombie trem version with the 3 knob layout...or, if you're conservative, the triple coil rotary switch model used by Steve Miller in a tabacco Sunburst as I remember...

Anyway...there is an Iceman appreciation site:

ICEMAN SITE

Good Luck...the world needs more Icemen

psw :D

PS...welcome to the family...good to see the lurker's joining up...now about a donation B)

OK Jester...as a welcome to the forum I did a quick search for you....

Just click on the Search button on the top of the screen and there are pages of stuff where the word "iceman" is mentioned....

Now my plans came from ACSpike in his reply which I'll link here:

PSW Iceman Plan Thread

The links to them are here and it is probably worth getting them to see how your shape compares...it does look pretty close though...

Good Luck...and please dont change the design too much...I've seen some terrible versions...there's one from the Iceman site above that's a cross between an Iceman and a Parker...not pretty!

Also...check out Washburn's Paul Stanly Signiture Iceman Ripoff....don't do that!

The shape is really a classic IMHO...you dont mess with a classic...put a trem on it, change the controls, hell put in 4 humbuckers....but dont put parker horns on it!!!!

pete

You seem to have it pretty much down though...it does look a little squashed and the upper bout a little pointy or something...perhaps that's your changes?

Nope, that's just an attempted copy of the shape from a tiny pic.

I haven't changed anything yet.

If you search...

I did, but didn't find anything on this matter. :D

someone here did kindly email me the 1:1 drawing...I'd have to find the file however...

If you find it, can I PLEASE have it ? :D

Good Luck...the world needs more Icemen

Agreed.

Thanks !

Check the link posted in my post above and it will take you to the thread I started on this very question....then ACSpike has posted a link to his site...

I'll see if I can dig mine up though if you have no luck there...

And...BTW...if GregP see's you speling athough...altough as in your first post...he will have no mercy.... :D

Yes GP I just realized I cant speel speall....bite me :D

Edited by psw

OK...here's the quote...click on the underlined word iceman and it will prompt you to download a pdf of the design...done

I found a cad plan recently but I don't remember where I got it. I can send it to you if you want.

If you wanted to draw a plan on the computer you could use Inkscape like I do. That is how I traced this Iceman.

I started to write directions for how I do it here.

Now about searching...the searching police are always present so...here's my search on the word "iceman"....

Iceman Search Results

You see there are 4 pages of threads...ok not all relevant...but as I say...the search patrol is looking to pounce :D

OK...time for sleep on my side of the world... :D ...you must have had the fastest response in the history of PG!

I found the link in the other thread, but it says that the page cannot be found... :D

Good Luck...and please dont change the design too much

Don't worry about that. B) I won't probably even change the shape at all if I can get it right.

And about the search... I used it, but I only had 1 page of threads...

Hmm... I wonder if I spelled it right when I did the search. :D

I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

Edited by Jester

I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

No...sorry if I gave you that impression...over enthusiastic to help...and tired...it's 1am down here!!!

When I tried it (from the original thread, mind you) it asked me to download the file...perhaps try it from there...

Meanwhile...I'll see if I can find the file...I'll need to email it to you when I find it...

Goodnight now....pete

When I tried it (from the original thread, mind you) it asked me to download the file...perhaps try it from there...

It doesn't work.

Meanwhile...I'll see if I can find the file...I'll need to email it to you when I find it...

I would really appreciate that.

Thanks again.

Jester...I'm glad you found your man...iceman that is...I found my file too...must get Brian to post it in the advanced sections drawing library...ooten2, do you want to email Brian your copy, it'd be a great inclusion... :D

Jester...I'm glad you found your man...iceman that is...I found my file too...must get Brian to post it in the advanced sections drawing library...ooten2, do you want to email Brian your copy, it'd be a great inclusion... :D

Yeah. He didn't send it yet, but I'm sure that he will.

Btw: You don't sleep much, do you ? :D

tell me about it...4 hours...hmmmm...must be all those super long posts....

If you're not familiar with my sustainer obsession check out the 54 page of it in the electronics section...

welcome aboard Jester...so what are you planning for this Iceman then...something Gothic?

The email's been sent.

Great idea on sending the iceman to Brian. I'll do it.

I don't remember where I got it from, maybe it was the mimf.

I was thinking it was the whole guitar, but actually, the drawing is just the body, with an AANJ bolt on heel. Oh well, better than nothing, but I do like the headstocks on the Iceman.

Hope it helps! :D

Yeah...I like the headstock too...got to do that too Jester!

Sounds like the same drawing I've got but the shape is acurate so that's the main thing...the scale length and hardware will detirmine the rest anyway.

I've got a reverse strat neck here but resisted making the Iceman because it wouldn't be quite right...now I'm working on a "reverse" strat

p

And...BTW...if GregP see's you speling athough...altough as in your first post...he will have no mercy.... :D

Yes GP I just realized I cant speel speall....bite me :D

I hadn't noticed this because I have little to no interest in Iceman guitars and hadn't read the thread. B) But in a fit of boredom....

B)

Whose bad spelling am I supposed to be punishing? I didn't notice any horrible errors. :D

Greg