Fenders Attempt At "pointy"

!!METAL MATT!!

Thats a very rare guitar. Introduced in 1986, it was the first "new" model to be built outside of US. The model was then withdrawn the same year because, at the time, everyone turned their noses up at Japanese built guitars. It was also let go because CBS parent company was having some financial problems at the time.

It was a takeoff of the Fender Swinger aka "Musiclander", a student model (21 frets) from the mid to late 60's. Similar headstock design but some changes made to the neck (eg. 24 frets) and to the body, ie. horns added, pickups etc.

http://marcel.f2hosting.com/mmds/related/swingerGC.jpg

Edited by Southpa

I'll bet if you pulled the covers off all you will see is regular paired single coils that are slightly staggered into a parallelogram shaped HB.

I'd expect that too. What I wonder though, is what pickup did Fender slant? Was it like their HM humbucker? Could they have used a pair of Strat pickups (with one coil RW/RP. Reviews say single coil mode was VERY Strat-like)? An entirely new design?

I would presume they would have had a reasonably high output, based on what I assume would have been the guitars intended market.

I don't want to blow these questions out of proportion, I'm just curious, and always interested in new ideas regarding pickup design (I have to admit to not ever seeing this guitar before).

Pete :D

I remember those guitars. I flat out loved that design. The pickup configuration is silly, and I don't know what they sound like but that guitar looks great to me. Very original for it's time. I'm not saying it looks anything like a Maxxas, but they seem to share a similar attitude. It's like it bridges the gap between Ibanez Roadstars (RS525) and the Maxxas, not in looks, but vibe.

If anyone had one I'd trade some stuff for it pronto.

Well This One Was On eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Performer-Elect...1QQcmdZViewItem

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I remember those guitars. I flat out loved that design. The pickup configuration is silly, and I don't know what they sound like but that guitar looks great to me. Very original for it's time. I'm not saying it looks anything like a Maxxas, but they seem to share a similar attitude. It's like it bridges the gap between Ibanez Roadstars (RS525) and the Maxxas, not in looks, but vibe.

If anyone had one I'd trade some stuff for it pronto.

agreed, I liked those alot as well but I hated the headstock......not sure what they were thinking there. Then in the early nineties, Jackson/Charvel made those "ST" models with just about the same headstock. People never learn..... :D

OH YA :D Now someone Need's to build one!!!!!!!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D